General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Fri 24-May-13 18:33:57
Print Post

How long until FTTPoD?

[link to this post]

Based on prior experience (to the extent there is any relevant precedent), does anyone know when FTTPoD will be available on a widespread basis (subject to being on an FTTC cabinet and subject to survey, etc)? I am wondering whether to go for a 6month FTTC contract or is this unnecessarily expensive given it will be 9months+ for FTTPoD to be available broadly and then it takes 3months to install so I'll be on FTTC for 12months in any case.

Given no one has yet launched an FTtPoD product you can order anyway (as far as I am aware), I am assuming the 12month contract is best but just wanted to check.

Thanks very much
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-May-13 18:46:00
Print Post

Re: How long until FTTPoD?

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

Minimum contract from Openreach for FTTC is 12 months, so those you find that are shorter are just rolling the 12 down into a 6 or 9 month time frame.

12 months, and see what the retail prices are like per month, as remember it is a 330 Mbps service at the wholesale level, so as well as the large install fee you will be looking at a fair chunk more per month for the service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 24-May-13 23:20:33
Print Post

You'll probably find that a 12-month contract wiil cost you more than the cost of leaving an 18-month one early.

In any case I'd expect BT Retail to be the first to offer FTTPoD so if in contract with them I wouldn't expect any penalty issues. It would just be an upgrade, possibly accompanied by a minimum term restart.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-May-13 00:07:58
Print Post

Just wanted to query, are you aware how much FTTPoD will cost to install, alongside how much it'll cost on a monthly basis?

It's not going to be released as a home product in the manner that BT Infinity 160 is. The install fee is too high, the monthly fee is too high, and a completely separate phone line would be required so BT Retail can't cross-subsidise.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-May-13 13:11:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

min term restart I would put at 99% chance.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-May-13 23:15:47
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Why a new phone line?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-May-13 19:32:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why a new phone line?

I said 'separate' not 'new'. FTTPoD doesn't include voice line rental.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 26-May-13 19:34:59
Print Post

Does any fibre product include voice line rental?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-May-13 19:51:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Does any fibre product include voice line rental?

Nope but the transitional products carry a substantial discount if taken with existing line rental. FTTP 330/30Mb from Wholesale with phone line is 44GBP/month, FTTPoD it's the data only price whether you've a phone line or not, 53GBP/month.

No opportunity with FTTPoD for retail operators to 'bundle' FTTP and voice and pay the wholesale supplier, Openreach or BT Wholesale, less.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-May-13 22:54:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why a new phone line?
I said 'separate' not 'new'. FTTPoD doesn't include voice line rental.
That's fair enough, but I bet 99.9% of people would think you meant someone with an existing phone line would have to pay installation and rental for another if they wanted FTTPoD, even though it wouldn't be used for anything. Which is why I queried it.

Maybe "You still need to pay PSTN line rental" would have been clearer smile.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to