General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bluluke
(newbie) Sat 25-May-13 02:01:57
Print Post

Need the BT experts, means a lot to me

[link to this post]

Can someone PLEASE fill out the other 3 the only one I think know is FTTH can someone do the procces of the other 3 getting to your home. (Every Detail like I have done) thank you who ever answers this it means a lot.

Standard Broadband -

FTTC -

FTTH - Main Exchange, Local Exchange, Aggregation Node, Primary Node, Secondary and Home (Correct me if I'm wrong)

FTTHoD -
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sat 25-May-13 06:47:42
Print Post

Re: Need the BT experts, means a lot to me

[re: bluluke] [link to this post]

Whilst possibly not exactly the UK Definitions, this Wikipedia article has a nice illustration-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 25-May-13 07:05:39
Print Post

Standard Broadband - Telephone exchange DSLAM - MDF - PCP - ( SCP ) - DP - home

or DSLAM - MDF - DP - home

DSLAM = DSL access multiplexer - broadband kit in phone exchange
MDF is Main Distribution Frame - where all the wiring meets up
PCP - primary connection point - where large multicore cables from exchange are connected to smaller multicore cables to SCP secondary connection points or Distribution points - telegraph poles or junction boxes underground.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-May-13 09:44:36
Print Post

FTTHoD is exactly the same structure as how Openreach deploy FTTH, except it is only done on an individual order basis, rather than a speculative basis.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-May-13 11:36:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And only where FTTC is already available to the particular end user.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-May-13 13:56:18
Print Post

For FTTP, isn't the starting point more usually described as the head-end, or the NGA Handover node, rather than an exchange?

Yes, this node is normally in an exchange building.

However, I don't think there is a definite path from "Main Exchange" to "Local Exchange". The Local Exchange might be missed out entirely, have no head-end equipment whatsoever, and have none of the fibre routing that way.

The relationship between exchanges, in an FTTC/P context, is more often described as parent/child - where the child doesn't have the head-end equipment or handover node.

However, while the child's cabinets may be served by fibre terminating in the parent's active equipment, the fibre itself doesn't necessarily route via the child exchange building. Take a look at this old thread

Here's three factsheets with diagrams, though with different emphasis on internal/external detail:
FTTC
FTTP
FTTPoD

However, you'll probably find this link the most interesting, architecture-wise:
Presentation to BCS, on NGA Deployment Strategy, 2011

So, I'd do:

FTTP: Parent Exchange HO OLT - AN - Splitter - DP - Manifold - (X) - ONT - Router
FTTC: Parent Exchange HO OLT - AN - FTTCcab - PCP - (SCP) - DP - NTE - Modem - Router
ADSL: Local Exchange HO - DSLAM/MSAN - PCP - (SCP) - DP - NTE - Modem/Router

(X) - is the external splice tray on the premises. Not sure what name is given to this.
(SCP) - Some copper lines have a second cabinet in the path.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-May-13 20:43:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

(X) - is the external splice tray on the premises. Not sure what name is given to this.

Answered.

Print Thread

Jump to