General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nuttyhouse
(newbie) Sat 25-May-13 07:30:03
Print Post

Re:My cab is not viable?

[link to this post]

i live in seaham northeast ,i am on cab 28 right next door to the exchange ,our cab is a half cab and serves just a block of sheltered housing right next door to the exchange which as been activated for fibre and most if not all of seaham gets fibre but not our cab number 28 because BT whoolsale say its no viable? we are so close i could run my own cable directly to the exchange ,what can i do to get cable or find more out ,many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-May-13 09:43:19
Print Post

[re: nuttyhouse] [link to this post]

Does the local authority have you in an area where their BDUK project is going to help?

Commercially unviable cabs will remain until some public money, or some of your own is spent to enable it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zom22
(learned) Sat 25-May-13 11:00:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If the OP lives as close to the exchange as they say - they will be getting a jolly good ADSL2+ service anyway one that many in the UK would die for.
When it comes to being in receipt of BDUK (ie taxpayers money) to improve broadband I doubt they will top of the priority list to be done "tomorrow".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-May-13 12:59:41
Print Post

[re: nuttyhouse] [link to this post]

Small PCP cabinets tend to be less viable to convert to FTTC because there won't be enough people taking it up.

Anecdotal evidence shows that cabinets of > 300 lines can get upgraded in the commercial leg of the rollout, while cabinets in the mid-200's are ignored.

BDUK subsidies usually allow the viability criteria to change, making small cabinets much more likely to be included - but there's still no guarantee: There are many other factors involved in the decision, presumably including the speeds you can already get.

Anecdotal evidence here has seen a cabinet of ~100 get upgraded.

How many properties does your cab serve?
Standard User nuttyhouse
(newbie) Sat 25-May-13 14:59:01
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

speed shouldt be an issue as we are virtually next door to the exchange,if they dont upgrade the cab then i dont have any other choices then like a direct line to the exchange
  Print Thread

Jump to