General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dbrb2
(newbie) Sun 26-May-13 15:56:34
Print Post

EO and network rearangement

[link to this post]

Hello,

This may be a question akin to asking "how long is a peice of string" but it can't do any harm to ask...

I live in a low-rise council block on a small council estate in central London. Though the estate is peppered with BT pits, there are no cabinets, and an online search shows that though the immediate area is FTTC enabled, the estate is EO, so no FTTC available.

There are ~200 properties, but since we are not rural no BDUK funding, and the London GLA funding seems very targeted (elsewhere)

I know Openreach's standard solution is network rearanegent, which presumablt involves intriducing a new cabinet near the flats, intercepting the copper going to the exchange.

Were this ever to happen, what kind of funding would likely be required? Thousands? Tens of thousands...?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-May-13 16:03:49
Print Post

Re: EO and network rearangement

[re: dbrb2] [link to this post]

30,000 to 60,000 at a guess

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dbrb2
(newbie) Sun 26-May-13 16:13:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oooo that's a lot of money smile

Useful to have a rough idea though when approaching various parties who might or might not be induced to help fund such a thing!

The far side of the street from me has FTTC - one option, for which I hold out very little hope, is to find out if a new line, if ordered, would still be EO. As far as I can tell that comes down to whether the EO distribution point in my building is full or not. Bit chicken and egg though, as there seems to be no way to find out the answer to this question before ordering the line smile

Edited by dbrb2 (Sun 26-May-13 17:00:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dandodex
(newbie) Mon 27-May-13 14:19:29
Print Post

[re: dbrb2] [link to this post]

I have posted this in another post but it seems to be relevant to this too. It seems that as zone 1 in London is being FTTC enabled throughout 2013 (it seems BT was leaving central London towards the end of the plan) more and more pockets of EO lines are surfacing in this area and we'll be hearing more and more about people in zone 1 in this forum with EO lines over the coming months. I can't see BT reaching 90% superfast unless EO lines in London are taken care of.

Here was my post:

The urban fund for London is mainly for WiFi in some council estates in Westminster and FTTP for all lines in the silicon roundabout (around Old Street and towards the Olympic Park).

They have preferred to use the money in a couple of specific projects rather than something more generic for the rest of London.

My hope is that EO lines in London are commercially viable, they are simply being done last. Hopefully an FTTP solution.

For example in my postcode, EC1V 7LP, there are 10 houses, all EO lines, a lot of zone 1 London appears to be EO lines somehow. 6Mb ADSL, so the copper to the Kings Cross exchange must go round in circles.

Having said that, I am surrounded by 3 cabs at around 100m each. London has a dense cab network. Most EO lines in Zone 1 London will be at around 100m from a cab (or aggregation node) so FTTP should be possibly cheaper than installing a cab for EO lines going by the FTTP On Demand prices.

Found the link for the project for London:
London SuperConnected Cities - Urban Broadband Fund - Phase 1

Edited by dandodex (Mon 27-May-13 14:20:08)

Print Thread

Jump to