General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 27-May-13 11:16:41
Print Post

Wholesale Line Speed reduction

[link to this post]

I hear the estimated line speeds from the BT Wholesale Checker have been slashed across the board. http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Is this because of BT's network being overloaded due to the introduction of IPTV for BT Sport?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-May-13 11:23:07
Print Post

Re: Wholesale Line Speed reduction

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I checked two lines, one is the same, the other (mine) has lost 2 meg on the download estimate.

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Is this because of BT's network being overloaded due to the introduction of IPTV for BT Sport?

I doubt that, as that will all be at the IP level, the estimate I assumed was at the VDSL sync level.

Probably more data on the effects of Cross talk ?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 27-May-13 11:23:36
Print Post

Mine's slashed, 58->52, and upload even more by 19->13. Actual speed remains around 70/18.5.

I think it's the sync speed they give in the estimates; I wouldn't have thought IPTV would have had any impact at that level.
I guess they just want more headroom to wiggle out of complaints.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-May-13 12:15:07
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Mine has gone the opposite way 60 to 61.2mbps
I'll find out tomorrow afternoon how good the estimate was!

Steve
Plusnet Fibre coming soon!
Standard User LEEEVANS69
(member) Mon 27-May-13 13:58:25
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

WBC FTTC Up to 53.5 Up to 13.2 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- 4.5 to 11 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7 Up to 1 4.5 to 11 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Mine as always been that i get up to 47 d/l and 8.5 u/l
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-May-13 14:20:54
Print Post

My estimate has reduced from 55/18 to 53/16.

I suspect it is due to their experience of the effect of crosstalk, and it having more effect than they previously imagined - early adopters within a cabinet are still getting speeds much higher than even the original estimates.

Obviously BT's network can't be currently overloaded due to a TV channel that doesn't launch for another 3 months.

In any case, when it is running, the design for that should be using multicast, and the TV-Connect concept has (I recall reading) some large-ish amount of dedicated bandwidth allocated towards each cabinet, which looks to be on top of the ordinary backhaul bandwidth.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-May-13 15:53:55
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In any case, when it is running, the design for that should be using multicast, and the TV-Connect concept has (I recall reading) some large-ish amount of dedicated bandwidth allocated towards each cabinet, which looks to be on top of the ordinary backhaul bandwidth.

I'd be interested in how that could work, as I thought the Openreach FTTC design was deliberately ISP neutral - as otherwise Sky and TalkTalk and any other GEA ISP would be disadvantaged.

Also how can you intercept a PPPoE session (as used on all BTW services) at the cabinet, as the PPP session terminates at the chosen ISPs RAS ?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-May-13 16:31:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I'd be interested in how that could work, as I thought the Openreach FTTC design was deliberately ISP neutral - as otherwise Sky and TalkTalk and any other GEA ISP would be disadvantaged.

You probably need to take a look at this Openreach document. It looks like they can support 4 CPs wanting to multicast.

Also how can you intercept a PPPoE session (as used on all BTW services) at the cabinet, as the PPP session terminates at the chosen ISPs RAS ?

It looks like you don't, and need to establish both IPoE and PPPoE connections between router and modem.
Standard User Colin_London
(member) Mon 27-May-13 19:40:13
Print Post

[re: LEEEVANS69] [link to this post]

Mine has been slashed from 58.5/18 to 54.3/13.2.

:eek:

So I wonder how much of my reduction from 68 to 52.72 profile is due to the line fault I am currently experiencing, and how much is down to crosstalk as the cabinet ports fill up? By the amount of jumper wire accumulating outside the copper cab I think there has been a big take up!

Still, my upload speed hasn't changed to the extent predicted here.....

Edited by Colin_London (Mon 27-May-13 20:18:06)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 27-May-13 20:06:38
Print Post

mine still says the same, but if it has been slashed I think it most likely to reduce line fault reports is the reason.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to