General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Fri 31-May-13 15:20:12
Print Post

Fibre fault between home and cabinet?

[link to this post]

Had the engineer over today to install my TT fibre but with no luck he said everything was working fine at the cabinet but the modem was not picking up the signal, the modem said DSL on it which was a bit odd anyway he said there is an issue and he would have to request to get a BT copper engineer out!? He said he was not with BT but a contractor is this normal? How long do I wait now as he didnít give me much information frown
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Fri 31-May-13 16:02:16
Print Post

Re: Fibre fault between home and cabinet?

[re: ashmo] [link to this post]

You need to talk to your ISP who is providing the service.

If there is truly ADSL at your house then I presume he either hasn't put the link in to the FTTC CAB, possibly because he has been given the wrong details.

Maybe he can't identify your line at the PCP.

A "copper" OpenReach engineer would tend to have done this right in the first place.

As a contractor he will only work on "copper" as well - certainly doesnt have access to the FTTC CAB!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 16:17:31
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

He did have access to the cab as he was testing loads of stuff I even asked him if I was the first in the street to get fibre and he said I was the 3rd his van did have a contractor sticker on it with his name then a smaller BT Open reach sticker, he said he was getting sync at the cab but not at the modem, my ADSL is working fine even though its slow the main reason for the upgrade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-May-13 16:22:51
Print Post

ADSL should stop working as soon as they do the changes at the cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 16:29:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
ADSL should stop working as soon as they do the changes at the cabinet

Everything did go off after the switch but no fibre so he put everything back and the ADSL was back he said he will get a copper engineer next week sometime and left at that 2mins later I drove down the road and at the next cab a real BT engineer was there why couldn't he have done my installation been stuck with 2mb for 5 years now frown I'll try and give TT a ring but 99% of the time they have no idea what your on about.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Fri 31-May-13 16:31:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by ashmo:
He did have access to the cab as he was testing loads of stuff I even asked him if I was the first in the street to get fibre and he said I was the 3rd his van did have a contractor sticker on it with his name then a smaller BT Open reach sticker, he said he was getting sync at the cab but not at the modem, my ADSL is working fine even though its slow the main reason for the upgrade.

The installers have access to the PCP but not the FTTC CAB.

The install a link from your line to the cable going to the FTTC CAB.

It still sounds like he couldnt find your pair - normally they would use a test tone if this was the case.

You need to get in touch with your FTTC ISP to see whether anything is happening otherwise it may go down a black holefrown

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 16:37:46
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:

The installers have access to the PCP but not the FTTC CAB.

The install a link from your line to the cable going to the FTTC CAB.

It still sounds like he couldnt find your pair - normally they would use a test tone if this was the case.

You need to get in touch with your FTTC ISP to see whether anything is happening otherwise it may go down a black holefrown

He was using a test tone thing he even phoned me to ask if the lights were on it he did not put a lot of confidence in me 2 weeks waiting for this :/
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 17:26:00
Print Post

Called up TT and OMG the worst customer support ever!

The first time got cut off after 20 minutes!

Called up again the guy on the phone kept saying he could not see any fault! And he could see that I was calling from my landline!? Funny as I was calling from my mobile in work!

I said how can you see a fault if my phone and ADSL is working fine? And the fibre equipment is off?

3rd time someone in the UK maybe?

No a happy bunny.

Edited by ashmo (Fri 31-May-13 17:28:16)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-May-13 17:39:41
Print Post

Called up TT and OMG the worst customer support ever!

And there end the lesson in why I'd never recommend, or even suggest TT

That said, persevere and I hope you get it sorted quickly, the contractors are known for their poor installations, hopefully when you get a BT guy you'll get a better job done as well.

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 31-May-13 17:40:41)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 18:30:23
Print Post

If the contractor has done the right thing with your install task, then they will have raised a 'dis D side' activity, hopefully the engineer who comes to do this (I'll bet there is nothing wrong with your line) ail be able to do the cab jumper for you, and get you in service. Even if the Openreach bod isn't FTTC trained, once they prove the pair as good, the install will be reappointed.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to