General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-13 09:05:11
Print Post

Fibre on demand - early market deployment

[link to this post]

Does anybody know when the early market deployment is due to end and the product will become more widely available?

Also has anybody actually got it as of yet? Not heard any feedback

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Sat 15-Jun-13 17:02:09
Print Post

Re: Fibre on demand - early market deployment

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Openreach told me I needed to wait until "the commercial product is available later in the year" and it would be "available in all FTTC enabled cabinet areas" (subject to survey) so I'm hopeful it will available for everyone to order by the end of the year. I may be reading too much into their comments but I'm hopeful!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Jun-13 17:09:44
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

Openreach mean available to all ISPs to order. Not all are likely to want to provide it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Sun 16-Jun-13 21:16:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'll take any ISP who is willing to offer it! (until Openreach probably turn me down on the survey)

I'll be very interested to see if they stick to their initial proposal which is to base pricing on the nearest fibre aggregation point - for someone who is not connected to their nearest fibre enabled cabinet, it makes a very big difference in installation cost (250m vs 3.5km).
Standard User robertcrowther
(regular) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:07:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by bdo21:
I'll take any ISP who is willing to offer it! (until Openreach probably turn me down on the survey)

I'll be very interested to see if they stick to their initial proposal which is to base pricing on the nearest fibre aggregation point - for someone who is not connected to their nearest fibre enabled cabinet, it makes a very big difference in installation cost (250m vs 3.5km).

Fibre on demand is only available in trial areas at this time.
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:17:56
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

I realise that - I was referring to Openreach's comments in my post above which implied it would available to everyone later this year
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jun-13 17:32:14
Print Post

Openreach's original proposal didn't specify "nearest" aggregation node - just that the average cost would be £1500.

Their price list is ambiguous, and doesn't definitively state that the cost will be based on the "nearest" aggregation node either: Aggregation nodes are mentioned twice in the price list. The second mention indicates that the pricing is based on "the radial distance from the relevant aggregation node" but doesn't indicate that this will be the nearest. The earlier mention indicates that "96% of premises are expected to be within 2km of the nearest NGA Aggregation Node" but doesn't specify that this is the "relevant" one that either measurements are made from or that connections are made to.

Until we see quotes for people in these ambiguous circumstances, we won't know what the answer is.
  Print Thread

Jump to