General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User horeaa
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:56:15
Print Post

Cabinet commercial criteria

[link to this post]

I live in a fairly new estate in Cheltenham (built 2007-2010), connected to cabinet 82 (GL52 5GH).

I've been trying for a long time to find out why my cabinet is not included in any plans by Openreach ... I've even sent them emails directly and the best I've got is probably a standard reply saying "The rollout is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet. Unfortunately when assessed cabinet sscmn82, to which your line is connected, did not met these and is not included in the rollout programme".

Now, does anybody have any idea what this commercial criteria is? Cabinet 82 covers quite a few postcodes and I think all the houses in my estate are connected to it (must be several hundred houses, my estimates).

Almost everybody around my estate seems to be on FTTC or FTTB and itís highly frustrating and depressing to not be even included in any plans Ö Any info greatly appreciated!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:16:33
Print Post

Re: Cabinet commercial criteria

[re: horeaa] [link to this post]

As the commercial project is targeting around 2/3rds coverage with £2.5bn then the ones that cost a few pounds more end up not being done, sometimes the decisions are revisited.

Number of premises served via cab
Cost of installing second cab and futher distance equals more underground ducting
Cost of getting power (can be very variable)
Cost of getting fibre to the cab e.g. if existing ducting is known to be full or blocked cost can be a lot higher

A look on google maps shows a building site, that looks a mixed commercial one, or has a lot of homes appeared since then.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User horeaa
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:26:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Google satellite images are very old (~2007), street view is less than a year old. Commercial buildings would be only Sainsburys.

I think cabinet 82 is this http://goo.gl/maps/j5L5O

As you can see there are 3 boxes, doesn't this imply they serve a large number of lines?
Also, I can not see the location or power being a problem there ...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:37:08
Print Post

I don't think it is those cabs, but may be this one

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.902329,-2.047952&sp...

that is on Redmarley Road.

The number is normally stencilled on the cab so non-local engineers can be sure they are at the right one.

Has the council adopted the roads yet? As some developers can be odd (or want a chunk of money) for adding extra cabinets beyond the minimum required to provide telephone services.

Looking at number of properties, some may be Exchange Only, and the other cabs outside Sainsbury may also be being used, and the distance means lower speeds. Thus to serve the area may require a number of FTTC cabs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:44:07
Print Post

According to the BT spreadsheet that cabinet passes the following postcodes and covers 50% or more of them:

GL501EF
GL525GB
GL525FP
GL525GH
GL525GA
GL525GG
GL525GJ
GL525GE
GL525GD
GL525GF
GL525FW
GL525FR

This gives a coverage of about 379 premises passed.

Best guess is that some of the construction happened after BT counted the premises so they think there are less there. 5GH and 5GA alone are 117 premises s oif they were built after the count that'd certainly have tipped the balance.
Standard User horeaa
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:53:45
Print Post

Interesting ... you could be right, I've missed that box. I wonder what the other 3 at the boottom of the estate are? Those 3 have no numbers on them, I'll check this one out when I go home tonight.

There were issues with adopting the roads but as far as I know everything was sorted out last year ... this is good point, I need to confirm if they are actually adopted now. Is there an easy way to find out?

According to this doc it servers quite a few postcodes in my estate (if not all) and very few outside but you could be right about the large area and more FTTC cabs required.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:55:22
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

The 2011 data shows GL501EF is split

Cab P82 was down as coming soon back then
Cab P86 enabled

and is some 1.8 miles from the development which is also served by cabinet P82 (GL52 5GH)
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=GL501EF&daddr=C...

Was using http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php and if someone has newer data am happy to roll it into that.

Standard User horeaa
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 12:01:09
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Anything below GH and GA were finished in the first stage which was about 2008. I can't believe BT counted the premises so early. The exchange was enabled in 2011 if I remember correctly.
Second stage (Yorkley and Brockweir road upwards) were built sometime around 2009 and 2010 ... but all done by the end of 2010 as far as I know.
Standard User horeaa
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 12:10:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The 2011 data shows GL501EF is split
and is some 1.8 miles from the development which is also served by cabinet P82 (GL52 5GH)

That clearly can not be right, too far away ... I think it's easier to get information about these cabinets from GCHQ down the road than from Openreach/BT smile
BTW, this estate was built on the old GCHQ location ... I can only guess what net connections they used to have here ... if only they left one cable in my back garden smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 12:14:10
Print Post

it may be that the first properties were feed by a cable from cab 82 which may be closer to GL501EF and latter development got its own cabinet or two.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to