General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Thu 20-Jun-13 15:04:29
Print Post

Business FTTPoD Available - Residential Next?

[link to this post]

I saw the post below which shows FTTPoD being available for businesses across 35 exchanges and it seems to be available to order already. Interestingly, the screenshot on the blog shows FTTP being available on an exchange which doesn't have FTTC (in Cornwall so could be BDUK related?).

http://blog.networkunion.co/blog/bid/297497/BT-FTTP-...

Is there's anything we can read into this about FTTPoD access for residential customers? It doesnt look like the product is any different from the retail FTTPoD product they're planning. Does anyone have information on how the installation cost is charged for this business version of FTTPoD? Is the list of 35 exchanges the same as the residential trial?

Thanks

Edited by bdo21 (Thu 20-Jun-13 15:13:07)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 20-Jun-13 15:36:20
Print Post

Re: Business FTTPoD Available - Residential Next?

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bdo21:
Interestingly, the screenshot on the blog shows FTTP being available on an exchange which doesn't have FTTC (in Cornwall so could be BDUK related?).

I think the info in the screenshot only refers to the cabinet (Cab 63), not the exchange itself (TRURO).

In other words FTTC is not planned for Cab 63 but is/will be available on other cabinets connected to the TRURO exchange.
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Thu 20-Jun-13 15:39:15
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

I still thought it was odd given FTTPoD is only supposed to be available if you're on an FTTC enabled cabinet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 20-Jun-13 15:50:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by bdo21:
I still thought it was odd given FTTPoD is only supposed to be available if you're on an FTTC enabled cabinet

The blog is referring to FTTP (as opposed to FTTP on Demand). It states that "As of June 2013, the BT FTTP rollout will be accross 35 exchanges". wink

I think around half (or possibly more) of those exchanges are in Cornwall, in fact my own exchange is amongst them and my particular cabinet area was added to the BT database last week as having FTTP available.

I'll soon be going ahead with getting FTTP installed, after all it would be rude not to after all the money that's been invested!
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Thu 20-Jun-13 15:55:59
Print Post

I thought that might be behind the Cornwall exchanges shown on the map. However on your other point, the second paragraph of the blog refers to FTTP on Demand and refers to a quotation which I assume means the installation costs. The final few paragraphs also refer to FTTP on Demand and the installation process
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 20-Jun-13 16:05:18
Print Post

I agree that the blog also refers to FTTPoD, so perhaps I should have said something like "the part of the blog we are discussing is referring to FTTP" wink
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Thu 20-Jun-13 16:07:07
Print Post

smile Any thoughts anyone has on whether we can learn anything about residential FTTPoD would be appreciated!
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Jun-13 18:35:13
Print Post

What do you define as 'residential' FTTPoD?

The only one that anyone outside of Openreach knows anything about is the 330/30 product. I've not heard any rumour of anything else which is understandable given that the charges for FTTPoD don't even come close to covering the initial build.
Standard User bdo21
(learned) Thu 20-Jun-13 18:40:48
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

The 330/30 product available to residential customers. I realise the costs are high but for people who work from home and will stay in their houses for a long time, the cost may be worthwhile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Jun-13 18:50:58
Print Post

I think you've looked at this blog post and gone 2+2=5. It's just talking about FTTP and FTTPoD in terms that we already know about. There doesn't appear to be anything new here.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to