General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Idonex
(newbie) Fri 21-Jun-13 13:03:31
Print Post

Should copper line be ceased with FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I had FTTP (BT Infinity) installed recently, and once it was all working properly i cancelled my ADSL2 broadband with my old provider. They've just sent me an email to say they've cancelled the service early (would have been in 30 days when the contract period ended) as BT have ceased the phone line.

My phone line still works phone through the Openreach modem as expected, but we can't use the copper line anymore.

I don't really care, but does this mean if i want some phone extensions in my house i need to wire them from the Openreach modem, and if for whatever reason i no longer want fibre i'll have to pay BT 100 quid or whatever it is now to restart the copper line? Right now i only have the one master copper phone socket in my house, but i would have been a bit scuppered if i had multiple phone sockets as there's no connection between the modem phone port and any existing legacy sockets.

Thanks

Edited by Idonex (Fri 21-Jun-13 13:04:41)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 21-Jun-13 14:27:04
Print Post

Re: Should copper line be ceased with FTTP?

[re: Idonex] [link to this post]

So you have fibre optic all the way to the house with an ONT ? Shouldn't that cross-connect to the master socket to provide phone service over the fibre ?

Who was your ADSL provider ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Idonex
(newbie) Fri 21-Jun-13 16:31:42
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I had ADSL with BE.

All that comes into my house is a copper phone line on the master phone socket. And now a fibre cable which goes into the ONT, and a power cable from the ONT to a battery which goes into the mains, and an ethernet cable from the NOT to the HH3 for the internet connection. My phone is plugged directly into the ONT phone port. There's no connection between the ONT to the old phone socket.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 21-Jun-13 16:53:54
Print Post

Idonex

If you take both phone and FTTP from the same supplier the copper will be ceased. Your voice service is now over the fibre. ( Out of interest what exchange are you on?)

My understanding is that IF you have extensions wired from the old socket, the engineer who fitted the ONT would ( should) have connected the ONT to the old NTE and replaced the old NTE with one that had a switch on top to change between copper and Fibre connections.

However as you had no house wiring this is not required. If you want extensions you plug straight into the ONT with an extension wire ( Plug with a wire for the extension and a socket in for any local phone to plug into). If the extensions were plugged into the old socket you just move the plug.

If you go back to copper at any time they will reprovide the service to the copper line and the old socket will work again.

I would be interested in if you get a tone from the old socket if you plug the phone in, or if it is dead.

Incoming calls will have been transferred to the fibre line so the copper line it won't ring.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jun-13 17:07:03
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

My understanding is that IF you have extensions wired from the old socket, the engineer who fitted the ONT would ( should) have connected the ONT to the old NTE and replaced the old NTE with one that had a switch on top to change between copper and Fibre connections.

I'd agree with that, the engineer should have fitted a lead between the PSTN out on the ONTE to the existing NTE, and fitted an interstitial faceplate on that, allowing switching between the feeds.

As the OP describes only having a single NTE on the copper service, then I guess it's no biggy, if he wanted more points, just use cordless phones.

Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-13 09:07:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Could cause problems if you have Sky Multiroom though where the boxes call home occasionally, they can't turn a switch on the NTE.

I would have thought they could have come up with a solution whereby the NTE or something newer is connected to the ONT (?) and all phones run via the NTE.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jun-13 09:26:16
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

I don't think the switch is meant to be used on a per-call basis, with active telephony services behind both the copper and fibre legs.

I think it is meant to be almost like the gas tap: left set one way for decades. Then painted over, and found to be stuck when you really do need it.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-13 09:32:50
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Ah!! That sounds better smile and yes I've done that in the past, usually with windows

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 22-Jun-13 10:16:30
Print Post

well if you've bought fibre including phone over the fibre (may help to say what product from whom, and which telephone exchange or first bit of phone number ie 01xxx dialling code) then there should have been integration to your extension wiring.

To some extent it may depend what you ordered as to whether the phone line should have ceased. If the exchange is going "fibre only" then it would cease, but Openreach products for fibre alongside copper are available and the fibre bit of these is cheaper than fibre only.

If you want telephony on the extension wiring don't want to hassle your provider you could take off the NTE5 master faceplate and use a BT plug to BT plug cable to connect the socket on the ONT to the now dangling faceplate of the NTE5 master.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jun-13 10:47:29
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Pictures of what should have been done if you have FTTP and Fibre Voice Access that needs cross linking to telephone extensions

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

Scroll down to the faceplate pictures

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to