General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 22-Jun-13 10:56:40
Print Post

Elstead Exchange and FTTC

[link to this post]

Everything seems to indicate that by the end of the year Elstead will have FTTC provided under the BDUK scheme. A local councillor has stated that being a smallish exchange there will be no LLU. To me that means I am obliged to continue having a line rental from BT and therefore restricted to use BT for FTTC.

Of course with ADSL, other providers could be chosen but I would be excluded from lower priced deals.

Have I got my facts right, because the thought of having BT as a broadband supplier when FTTC is available, sends shivers down my spine?

Feedback on my thoughts would be very welcomed.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Jun-13 11:04:48
Print Post

Re: Elstead Exchange and FTTC

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

There are 3 mainstream suppliers - BT, Sky and Talktalk. There are also a number of secondary suppliers like Entanet and Daisy who allow small resellers to resell their connections. Of course, there are the traditional ISPs who essentially resell BT connections like Zen, Plusnet, IDNet, etc.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User somerset
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-13 13:07:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Everything seems to indicate that by the end of the year Elstead will have FTTC provided under the BDUK scheme. A local councillor has stated that being a smallish exchange there will be no LLU. To me that means I am obliged to continue having a line rental from BT and therefore restricted to use BT for FTTC.

Of course with ADSL, other providers could be chosen but I would be excluded from lower priced deals.

Have I got my facts right, because the thought of having BT as a broadband supplier when FTTC is available, sends shivers down my spine?

FTTC is available from many ISPs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 22-Jun-13 14:02:15
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by somerset:
In reply to a post by trolleybus:

FTTC is available from many ISPs.

Yes, Yes I know all that but each says that you have to pay the line rental to them. If LLU is not present, how is that possible?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Jun-13 14:07:07
Print Post

Say you can get FTTC. Who would you want to rent the phone from and who would you want to get the FTTC from, if you could choose anyone?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jun-13 14:25:43
Print Post

There are lots of layers involved in this.

LLU is about extra equipment in the exchange building - usually by the likes of Sky or TalkTalk, or that ilk - plus backhaul to the ISP. That means they can provide telephony services and broadband services using that equipment, bypassing most of BT's equipment.

Without LLU, you are restricted to using equipment that belongs to BT Wholesale.

However, that doesn't mean that you have to use BT Retail as your ISP or telephony supplier.

That means you can choose, say, Plusnet as your FTTC ISP and pay them for line rental for the telephony package too. They act as the retail-level ISP to you, but buy the services from BT Wholesale on your behalf.

I have done a variety of these options:
- Old setup, we paid BT the line rental, and telephony charges, but had Plusnet's FTTC service.

- After moving, our new setup went with Plusnet for both the line rental and the FTTC package.

Neither setup required nor used LLU equipment or backhaul.

Note: Plusnet do broadband-only deals, but they just made them more expensive if you don't take line rental with them.
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 22-Jun-13 14:44:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

FTTC should arrive by the end of this year. My present setup is Line Rental with BT and ADSL Broadband with TalkTalk. I am on a legacy Nildram tariff that diverts outgoing calls via TalkTalk giving me 500 minutes anytime calls.

Here are my speed test results: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13719...

It seems that from August ADSL2 will be available from my exchange
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 15 Up to 1.5 8.5 to 19 31-Jul-13

I am quite happy to consider TalkTalk for FTTC however the T&Cs state:
Only available to TalkTalk Essentials or Plus customers with TalkTalk line rental. Subject to availability, location, minimum speed and a min 18 month contract.

So the question boils down to: Could I have TalkTalk as my FTTC supplier on the Elstead exchange [when available] and as ADSL2 is available sooner [August], could that be used for say 2-4 months and then upgrading to FTTC [with the same supplier] when available.

Personally I think that won't be option and that I would be obliged to use an FTTC service from BT, or one of their rebadged outfits such as PlusNet. My gut feeling is that the other two main suppliers, TalkTalk or Sky, would NOT be available to me.

Clarification on this would be most useful.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jun-13 14:50:43
Print Post

TalkTalk only offers its FTTC product if you take their line rental too. So you cannot do what you want.

When you say rebadged outfits, their service can differ a fair amount from what BT Retail offer, because they use/buy different levels of service from BT Wholesale.

It is all in the layers.

The FTTC providers who give you freedom to put your line rental with whoever you like often charge a little more. Plusnet while they heavily market the phone+broadband do do the fibre without line rental, at £22.49 for unlimited
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 22-Jun-13 17:53:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
TalkTalk only offers its FTTC product if you take their line rental too. So you cannot do what you want.

When you say rebadged outfits, their service can differ a fair amount from what BT Retail offer, because they use/buy different levels of service from BT Wholesale.

It is all in the layers.

The FTTC providers who give you freedom to put your line rental with whoever you like often charge a little more. Plusnet while they heavily market the phone+broadband do do the fibre without line rental, at £22.49 for unlimited
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

Thank you, confirmation of what I thought that TalkTalk will have to be off my shopping list.

The difficulty I now have is a short list of ISPs that can [when the time comes], or shall will say able to, provide me with a FTTC service. It seems that PlusNet can but who else is there, apart from BT that gets the thumbs up from Thinkbroadband subscribers?

Just as an aside I find that I am connected to cabinet #1 located today within the confines of a private garden, complete with 3 or more telecom manhole covers as the garden path! I don't suppose they are going to be too pleased to have another cabinet with possible audio noise to annoy them.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jun-13 18:16:28
Print Post

Depends on your budget and usage profile really, entanet resellers might be worth a look.

If unlimited is a key thing then yes choice at low price is limited

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to