General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User killzusall
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-13 17:21:44
Print Post

Fibre installation and master socket

[link to this post]

Hi there, I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer. If I have infinity installed do openreach need to do anything to the master socket, as mine is behind a wardrobe (due to lack of space) and you can easily reach behind and unplug and plug things in, but if he needed to work on it in any way I would need to move the wardrobe.

Do I need to move the wardrobe? There are no secondary sockets running off it as with have cordless phones just an adsl splitter for cordless phone base station and router.

Edited by killzusall (Sat 22-Jun-13 17:23:05)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jun-13 17:39:58
Print Post

Re: Fibre installation and master socket

[re: killzusall] [link to this post]

You'll need to move the wardrobe, as they install a filter plate onto the master socket, and this involves removing the the front section of the master socket.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 22-Jun-13 17:40:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Jun-13 17:50:06
Print Post

I'm afraid the answer is yes - you do need to move it. The engineer fits another part between the faceplate and the wall-mounted part. This will add about 23mm, nearly an inch, to the depth of the assembly. See the socket as it probably is at Step 3 on this page, then scroll down to Step 6, where the positioning of an iPlate is shown. The part he fits is not an iPlate but goes in the same place.

The finished socket look like the picture on this page.

If that means the wardrobe will intrude too far into the room space, you can ask the engineer to move the master socket to a more convenient location using the Home Wiring Solution, (also called a Data Extension Kit), which is currently available free with BT Infinity orders. Note that if you order FTTC from another provider you may need to order that as well. It isn't always automatic.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jun-13 18:22:03
Print Post

Yes they will need access to fit the interstitial faceplate

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

Shows the faceplate fitted and the extra depth it adds

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:05:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Dammit! tongue

I knew you had that page and went looking for it on tbb. Drew a blank of course, hence my messy explanation to the OP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to