General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Snake
(committed) Tue 25-Jun-13 10:13:13
Print Post

I want FTTPoD - please take my money!

[link to this post]

I was hoping this would be pushed out faster. Considering their would be more people like my self to pay for it, and so they would get a wider "test" coverage.

Havent heard a peep since the original exchange announcement frown - If someone from BT is reading this, I am on Goodmayes exchange and I want FTTPoD smile

Snake smile
Standard User garethr
(regular) Tue 25-Jun-13 10:29:49
Print Post

Re: I want FTTPoD - please take my money!

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Snake,

If you consider that :

- Openreach seem to have BIG issues delivering FTTP to areas they have agreed to include in the commercial deployment - high takeup areas.

- They seem to have issues with deployment in anything other than a straightforward deployment. MDU/flat or private road etc etc just forget it.

- Even when they have Exchange to premises ducting they seem to have managed to screw it up - no dig required.

- Do OR actually have the resources available to do the work with the commercial deployment and BDUK.

- What will the lead time be? Will it be 6 months? Will customers accept 6 month lead times?

I seriously now doubt that BT will go forward with the deployment and I think it more likely they will push forward with vectoring and bonding instead. FTTP will be deployed to any new build areas and I guess they will provide a route for landlords of large blocks of flat to deploy the technology - head off some of the competition in that area.

Regards,

Gareth
BT Internet 21CN ADSL 1.4Mbps/400Kbps
BT Infinity FTTP 166Mbps/20Mbps soon
Standard User Snake
(committed) Tue 25-Jun-13 10:43:32
Print Post

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

Damn, I was expecting a more positive response frown - I did think FTTC maybe the stop gap for a LONG time... before anyone decides FTTP is required.

Snake smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jun-13 10:52:37
Print Post

So I'm interesting in FTTP, however I don't think I really 'need' it. I'm just one of those geeky people who like that kind of thing.

What do you need the extra speed for? I have 80mb down and 20mb up and hardly ever utilise it. I DO get a big smile when I see files being transferred at 8.5mb/s though smile

Steve
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 25-Jun-13 10:56:01
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boxst:
I DO get a big smile when I see files being transferred at 8.5mb/s though smile

As slow as that?

I think you meant to type MB/s wink

Edited by Rastus (Tue 25-Jun-13 11:02:07)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 25-Jun-13 11:04:19
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

There are cases such as a friend of mine who is on one of the announced FTTPoD exchanges. He gets sub 1Mbps ADSL, and often sub 500kbps. FTTC is unlikely to work given the 4km distance to cabinet and if it does it will be way down at 1Mb or below. In his case, and that of his neighbours FTTPoD is the only solution - they ALL want it.

300Mbps is more than is needed but given the choice of that or 500kbps - which would you choose?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Tue 25-Jun-13 11:06:23
Print Post

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

But the deployment HAS started in an initial area, just like they did with FTTC.

just because it hasn't been rolled out nationally doesn't mean it isn't coming and FTTPoD is a different product to the FTTP areas.

I would expect OR to fully commit to this but I think a lot of people will balk at the install prices and that will keep takeup low.

Everything else is pure speculation until there is a formal announcement.
Standard User majika2007
(regular) Tue 25-Jun-13 11:09:10
Print Post

All the same, It would be interesting to see how things develop with other Service Providers/Operators who are moving into this area.. HyperOptic is just one such company I guess its something to keep an eye on in the future.
But I think Vectoring and bonding products would make to most sense in terms of feasibility to BT to be able to offer higher speeds as an alternative to FTTH/p in the short/mid-term..

I hope I'm wrong, as I would love to be tapping into my own personal 1Gig pipe.. smile wink

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Jun-13 12:03:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That's going to cost hem a fair bit then. I suggest they should form a group guaranteeing a minimum take-up and apply en bloc totry and minimise the quote per user.

Are any ISPs offering the full 330Mbps, or are they slugging it to 160Mbps?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Snake
(committed) Tue 25-Jun-13 12:34:33
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

I get about 70mb/20mb, as someone else said, I am very Geeky and like to have the latest and greatest. Considering I work in IT it helps having the speed.

Snake smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to