General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Scoot
(member) Fri 28-Jun-13 22:10:23
Print Post

Asus RT-N65U / BT Infinity

[link to this post]

Hi All,
Made an impulse purchase without doing my homework because my BTHomehub is on the blink and purchased the above router: Asus RT-N65U

Couple of questions seems like an old model but is anyone using this with Infinity? and excuse my lack of knowledge but despite doing a bit of googling I havent yet worked out can this router be used to replace the openreach (white) modem also so I just have 1 modem/router or is that not possible.

Also if anyone has any tips using this router, firmware, settings or setting up with bt inifinity please jump in smile

Edited by Scoot (Fri 28-Jun-13 22:16:50)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Jun-13 23:17:15
Print Post

Re: Asus RT-N65U / BT Infinity

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Scoot:
I havent yet worked out can this router be used to replace the openreach (white) modem also so I just have 1 modem/router or is that not possible.

No, it's just a router.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Scoot
(member) Fri 28-Jun-13 23:27:16
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Shame, trying to limit the amount of devices/power plugs in the office. Thanks for replying smile

Are there any recommended Modem+Routers with decent wifi and power that people are using with infinity to replace the modem and homehub. Makes me wonder if I should have researched more and not just purchased the first one I saw.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Jun-13 01:45:01
Print Post

Can always send it back. Get the HomeHub 4 it's dual band and as good as most mid range to decent routers.
Standard User timl
(member) Sat 29-Jun-13 08:56:02
Print Post

I've never tried having one device to do both but some people report they have had limited success with FRITZ!Box link to webpage though usually with some loss of sync speed.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jun-13 09:34:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scoot:
Are there any recommended Modem+Routers with decent wifi and power that people are using with infinity to replace the modem and homehub. Makes me wonder if I should have researched more and not just purchased the first one I saw.

Its not recommended at all, as if you have faults you will need to put the OR modem back. Just keep the two boxes and stay supported. You can have any router from openreach's viewpoint. (Your ISP might not support your own choice of router if you have questions about configuring it).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Jun-13 10:04:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

As BT look at vectoring, it becomes more important that these boxes meet the extra requirements that BT have - including being vectoring-ready, and supporting PHYR.

The requirements are listed in a BT SIN as the requirements for CP's when they start to supply modems instead of Openreach.

I note that one of those requirements is to send make, model and serial number to the DSLAM, and is a standard part of VDSL2. I expect people with sub-standard modems may eventually start getting calls. Or getting cut off.
Standard User ferretuk
(regular) Sat 29-Jun-13 22:01:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

As FTTC moves to a 'wires only' install, expect to see the range of integrated VDSL modem/routers increase (just as the did for ADSL).

Combined units are already available from the likes of Draytek, Zyxel and Billion.

Edited by ferretuk (Sat 29-Jun-13 22:02:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Jun-13 22:04:17
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Have you read the SIN that was linked to?

Have you checked all the kit you list complies with the requirements? Do any of them have compliance certificates from Openreach as described there?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Scoot
(member) Sun 30-Jun-13 13:22:22
Print Post

Thanks for all the replies guys, im glad ive changed the router as its sorted a long standing problem with my upload not going above 9mb/s and I have 4 Gigabit ports now.

Reading the posts here it looks like I wouldnt have found an ideal ALL in one for modem and router so no great loss rushing to purchase this model router.
  Print Thread

Jump to