General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Jun-13 21:25:31
Print Post

RF interference. How big an issue?

[link to this post]

I've had a few issues with my FTTC connection slowing down at various periods as DLM kicks in. Someone on the forums was talking about noise from nearby devices being an issue. The idea being you going around with an AM radio (or two for triangulationof source) and listen for noise.

Well I have been going around my room where my BTW modem is hooked up and it's noise city in paces. I noticed my netbook and HP display were big noise makers. However these were NOHING compared to my 50" Panasanic plasma HDTV!

I can pick that sucker up from way across the room and it's LOUD when you get near it.

How well shielded is both the modem and the line from interference from these particular devices?

Also read this.

http://www.eham.net/articles/4285

---
65/18Mbps on Plusnet unlimitedsmile

Edited by Oddball (Sun 30-Jun-13 21:36:04)

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Sun 30-Jun-13 21:37:58
Print Post

Re: RF interference. How big an issue?

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

Hi

Noise on the AM band when electrical equipment is around and on is pretty much normal. Just hold it against the modem to hear even more noise!

Don't forget airborne RF may sound loud on a radio, but that is precisely the task of a radio and it will be making things sound a lot worse than it probably is.

Also don't forget your VDSL is delivered by wire and not over the air, so audible RF noise on a radio is likely magnitudes lower in power than anything arriving at your modem.

Plasma TVs are known to be electrically noisy, the only way to know if it is having an affect is with an unlocked modem so you can see the numbers (SNR) reported by the modem while the TV is on and then off.

Chances are it is probably having little effect.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Jun-13 22:14:23
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
Hi

Noise on the AM band when electrical equipment is around and on is pretty much normal. Just hold it against the modem to hear even more noise!

Don't forget airborne RF may sound loud on a radio, but that is precisely the task of a radio and it will be making things sound a lot worse than it probably is.

Also don't forget your VDSL is delivered by wire and not over the air, so audible RF noise on a radio is likely magnitudes lower in power than anything arriving at your modem.

Plasma TVs are known to be electrically noisy, the only way to know if it is having an affect is with an unlocked modem so you can see the numbers (SNR) reported by the modem while the TV is on and then off.

Chances are it is probably having little effect.

Regards

Phil

Thanks. I have an ECI Model : B-FOCus V-2FUb/r Rev B or something modem. Can it be unlocked?

EDIT: From Googling it appears to be quite a lot of work and I am [censored] at soldering lol.

EDIT2: Going to see about trying to get a HG612 to flash.

---

Edited by Oddball (Sun 30-Jun-13 22:30:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Jun-13 22:51:54
Print Post

Further to what has been said, the frequency for REIN usually touted 612MW is OK for ADSL but does not cover the full spectrum for VDSL frequencies. So may provide a red herring.

I'd disagree with the looking at SNR as the first symptom, a very high FEC (RS) incrementing error rate would be the first clue in my book.

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jul-13 01:03:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yeah well you can't see that without an unlocked modem.

---
Standard User ryant704
(member) Mon 01-Jul-13 02:41:20
Print Post

Rather easy to see if you monitor your connection, just look at mine with some RF.

http://i43.tinypic.com/n4b2fk.png

The SNRM will drop to 2/3db, though I know where the RF is coming from I also have an external source which isn't bad as that but is still concerning. The worst I've had is 354 million in 3 and a half days.

Edited by ryant704 (Mon 01-Jul-13 12:03:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 01-Jul-13 10:09:20
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

So how are you getting the FECs without an unlocked modem?

Super typo by the way smile. I suggest you leave in as it is quite appropriate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ryant704
(member) Mon 01-Jul-13 12:05:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've never stated that I don't have an unlocked modem, not sure where you got that.

Was a late night, too many drinks for me I think!

Edited by ryant704 (Mon 01-Jul-13 12:15:00)

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jul-13 14:48:40
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Just ordered a new in a box HG612 from Ebay for less than a tenner delivered. Will see about hacking it when it arrives. I noticed the HS RJ11 cable sold by Maplin that was touted around as being good for squeezing a little more out of the connection has tripled in price. Guess they saw a chance to profiteer on those and bumped the price!

---
  Print Thread

Jump to