General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Sun 30-Jun-13 23:28:51
Print Post

Confused to if I can get fibre

[link to this post]

Main reason is that I live 1.2 miles from 2 exchanges, 1 is the main town one and the other is a small town connected to mine, If I put in my phone number it says FTTC is not available in my area, but when I try postcode it says FTTC available from 30/6

I have been checking the openreach checker for months and it updated earlier to accepting orders though I checked different companies and none have it yet though that is to be expected.

The main reason for the confusion if the phone number showing as FTTC not available in my area and not showing the 30th, and when I click the exchange map it shows me as on the small town exchange but when I check locality it shows me as the town exchange.

The small town exchange is upgraded in September it is just I only get 5 meg at the moment so want faster for my gaming updates or to watch a hd movie whilst downloading.
Standard User ste211270
(learned) Sun 30-Jun-13 23:41:14
Print Post

Re: Confused to if I can get fibre

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

email nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk they will let you know if you will be able to get it
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Jun-13 23:44:30
Print Post

I assume you still have the same line as in this thread, on the same subject and last active 24 days ago.

The BT Wholesale checker is the one to use, as it was then.

Just one question though, which ISP are you with? You started off there saying you are on LLU, then at the current end of that thread you talk about BT LLU. You didn't answer the poster who pointed out there is no such thing, so we don't have any idea what you are on smile. That can affect how you should check for FTTC availability.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sun 30-Jun-13 23:49:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah I assumed all ADSL2 was LLU, currently with EE after being with Sky.

The confusing thing about that thread was that no cabinet showed up for my address so it made it no more clearer!

Edited by mittenkrust (Sun 30-Jun-13 23:50:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Jun-13 23:58:25
Print Post

Using your address is not the best thing to do. It is a lot better than using your postcode - which in many cases is a compete waste of time, but the most accurate result is by using your phone number in the checker I just gave you. There were at least two links to that in your other thread. How about copy and pasting what that says? (Blank out the phone number on the result page but leave in the exchange name please).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(member) Mon 01-Jul-13 00:05:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Telephone Number on Exchange AYR

Featured Products
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4.5 -- 3.5 to 5.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 2 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Dec-2013. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2013.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jul-13 00:10:22
Print Post

As you are with EE, your line is with BTw, you are not on LLU and the BT Wholesale checker for your phone # will give you the latest status of your FTTC & ADSL availability.

EDIT: You can also put your # in the EE Checker which will also tell you Fibre is not available.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 01-Jul-13 00:20:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jul-13 00:33:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by mittenkrust:
Telephone Number on Exchange AYR
Did it not give a Cabinet # at the end of this line?

If not, you are on an Exchange Only (EO) line and there are no plans to FTTC those for some time as they require installation of new ordinary phone cabinets 1st. Surprising as you are so far from exchange; usually EOs are close to exchange building.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(member) Mon 01-Jul-13 00:54:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

No idea but googled neighbours numbers and also checked addresses and none have cabinets, I do notice around the corner from my house there is a old cabinet with the words BT on it and seen a few on way into town.
Standard User dandodex
(newbie) Mon 01-Jul-13 08:28:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Just to correct a common misconception. You can find as many EO lines very far from the exchange as close to the exchange, as the FTTC rollout has been uncovering over the past couple of years.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to