General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rs82uk
(newbie) Mon 01-Jul-13 12:37:25
Print Post

Fibre Cabinet installed over weekend

[link to this post]

I spotted a fibre cabinet being installed over the weekend right next to our normal cabinet.
Still no FTTC listed on the bt wholesale checker for my address how long does it usually take between cabinet install to taking orders?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jul-13 12:57:29
Print Post

Re: Fibre Cabinet installed over weekend

[re: rs82uk] [link to this post]

There isn't really a 'usual' timescale as there's no way of knowing how complex the work to deliver power and fibre to the new cabinet will be, nor if there will be any issues with that.

That the cabinet has been stood doesn't actually mean that much in the grand scheme of things bizarrely.

Just keep an eye on the checker.
Standard User rs82uk
(newbie) Mon 01-Jul-13 14:25:01
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

damn i knew it was too good to be true. thoroughly annoyed with the Fibre rollout BT claiming its to increase net speed across the UK in my town the only houses that have it are ones that could already get virgin, those of use with poor connections are still stuck on poor connections.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Mon 01-Jul-13 15:15:23
Print Post

From whenever the date provided about when the Box first stood means almost nothing as the real work is about getting power to the damn things. Other factors like traffic management for any digging work may only be allowed on weekends by certain councils this compounds the waiting time. There are also other issues which have to be worked out before the cabinet actually goes live.

I knew your frustration prior to my cabinet gong FTTC live..
It seemed at the time that the whole world was conspiring against me and its true, well, at least in my case everyone in my neighbourhood could get FTTC but who were already on a decent service could get FTTC except me..
Luckily, my patients prevailed and my cabinet went live before the actual BT checker Availability Date plus my connection speed is double what the BT checker estimate stated.

I hope it all turns out well for you, just hold tight and keep your fingers crossed !

Standard User No_One
(committed) Mon 01-Jul-13 17:13:45
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

Similar situation here. Cabinet was installed on the 15th May and the power connection on the 20th. About a week later I saw some guys working in the cabinet but couldn't see what they were doing. All the cabinets in town now look complete. The checker for my number and numbers of friends/relatives make no mention of fibre even coming. The only thing I have to go on is on samknows which shows the exchange due to be fibre enabled on the 30th September.... which is the exact date I'm going on holiday
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 01-Jul-13 17:27:11
Print Post

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

Samknow states that my exchange is enabled and that FTTC is available. BT Wholesale state Mar 2014. BT Retail tell me FTTC is not currently available in my area. frown
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jul-13 19:23:59
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Your exchange may well be enabled, doesn't mean your cabinet is though.

Standard User rs82uk
(newbie) Mon 01-Jul-13 21:45:11
Print Post

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

weird with ours exchange has been enabled for ages, cabinet now in apparently they were doing stuff down there today but still no hint of an activation date.
Standard User geo12
(newbie) Tue 02-Jul-13 14:46:18
Print Post

My cabinet went live about 4 months from the time it was installed.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Jul-13 17:58:03
Print Post

4 to 6 weeks in my case. Its a waiting game as others have said.

* Dig hole
* Put in underground pipe works to main cab
* Put on new cab
* Link all of the telecoms wiring up between the cabs
* Fibre to the new cab
* Power to the new FTTC cab
* {The magical stuff}

then appears on BT's ordering service

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to