General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Davemhlv
(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:34:04
Print Post

Petition for Superfast Broadband on EO Lines

[link to this post]

Hi all,
This is my first post so I hope I have the correct forum.

I suspect that I am on an EO Line and whilst searching for info I discovered the following e-petition
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Superfast broadband should be made available to Exchange Only lines
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46540

Text of the petition as follows
During the current Fibre "superfast" broadband rollout many properties are being excluded because they are not connected to a roadside cabinet. When these properties were originally connected to their local telephone exchange, cabinets were not in standard use. So while some properties are physically metres away from an exchange they cannot receive the superfast broadband of their neighbours properties connected to a later installed cabinet.

Current regulations say that the new superfast technology must be installed outside exchanges in cabinets. Therefore new cabinets should be installed outside existing exchanges (to comply with current regs.). Or the regulations changed.

Currently the public money being spent on these projects is done so without public consultation. Homeowners and businesses cannot interact with the organisers implementing the projects to ensure fair distribution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are currently (3rd July 2013) only 16 names on the petition which is well short of the 100,000 target required for possible debate in the House of Commons.

Please sign/share the petition which closes in March 2014.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:50:53
Print Post

Re: Petition for Superfast Broadband on EO Lines

[re: Davemhlv] [link to this post]

North Yorkshire was starting to address some EO lines as part of the BDUK project, and Cornwall is doing so with their project.

As for other counties, depends on their coverage target as to whether they will need to or not address EO lines to meet the various targets.

ANFP rules for VDSL from exchange building to serve those close to exchange on EO are under review and for longer lines the ANFP is not an issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jul-13 15:20:54
Print Post

I agree with the sentiment of the petition - more work needs to be done for these lines - but more especially for the longer ones.

However, this bit...
In reply to a post by Davemhlv:
Currently the public money being spent on these projects is done so without public consultation.

... isn't true.

All the counties running BDUK projects (ie the public-funded parts) have a public consultation as part of their state-aid approval. And they want people to tell them about their coverage experience too, as it helps their negotiations.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zom22
(regular) Wed 03-Jul-13 16:51:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Its the sodding public consultations that are wasting the time....and the EU requirements on state aid.
If you scrapped the whole lot and just got one with it, be half done by now.

Have you seen some of the replies to these public consultations local councils have to run?
Most sensible people have better/more important things to do in their lives/families
Hence most of the replies seem to come from the half wits and luny tunes who merely demonstrate why they are not in charge of anything much less managing broadband roll out.

Its the same with planning. I want to object to some proposal and go and read some of the other objections and I actually feel sorry for the planning officers being obliged to read the rubbish and give it due consideration.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jul-13 17:33:22
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

I agree - and that perception of just who responds to consultations probably hurts the councils when all they really want is people to express a desire to get fibre broadband, and tell them what is happening locally.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Jul-13 19:18:30
Print Post

There is of course the financial side to consider. You put an FTTC twin next to an existing cab, then you are going to be able to offer service to 300 + punters, often many more. Most EO cables are only 100 pair, so you do all the work, provide a copper cabinet, and then the FTTC twin, all at great cost, and the most return you are going to see is 100 punters, but most likely, way less. Not tempting really is it ?

Standard User ryant704
(member) Wed 03-Jul-13 20:22:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Openreach will be very happy with a 100 smile

Mine has been installed since September and currently there are only 31 connected with VDSL2 serving just under 250 houses.

Edited by ryant704 (Wed 03-Jul-13 20:23:32)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 03-Jul-13 20:27:24
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Exactly - 31 out of 250. That implies 12 out of 100?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 03-Jul-13 20:29:25)

Standard User ryant704
(member) Wed 03-Jul-13 20:28:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Just under 250 PCP and there are 31 connected to FTTC about 2 weeks ago.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 03-Jul-13 20:30:21
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Can't see a profit on 12.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to