General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(regular) Fri 05-Jul-13 18:05:08
Print Post

Delayed cab. We now know why

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live on a housing estate of around 900 homes near Milton Keynes. The estate is 6km from the Exchange in a nearby town and split down the middle between two cabinets. One half getting FTTC the other half getting FTTP.

The FTTP ducting has been installed and we're now just waiting for installation.

However, the FTTC cab has been installed since November and has power and a fibre connection to the Exchange. BT tried to reshell the PCP in March but appeared to abandon the work. I got told that and engineers working the area had advised that they were banned from doing any work on the PCP - no reason was given. BT have now resubmitted to REBUILD the PCP in a difference place... Which doesn't quite stack up...

Then we discovered an old streets work request form a contractor that states

""re dig patch to show to BT OR that cab cannot be reshelled due to HV cable in concrete"

Are they serious? Has anyone seen anything like that before. All 900 homes on the estate have serious problems with ADSL <2 Mbps and REIN.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
BT Internet 21CN ADSL 1.4Mbps/400Kbps
BT Infinity FTTP 166Mbps/20Mbps soon
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Jul-13 18:10:55
Print Post

Re: Delayed cab. We now know why

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

HV cable near to telephony cables =electrical induction?. if so it would go a long way in explaining why ADSL performance is pants for you, are there any faint buzzing or humming noises present on the line when doing a quite line test, if so that could well be electrical induction at play
Hopefully the reloaction of the PCP will slove this for you,

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 05-Jul-13 18:14:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jul-13 18:32:34
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
if so it would go a long way in explaining why ADSL performance is pants for you
Would have thought that long way from exchange would go a longer way to explain slow ADSL performance grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Jul-13 18:45:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well the longer the distance from exchange the more that electrical induction is likely to be a factor, and the number of points of electrical interference along it's route will increase, And no BT openreach won't do anything about electrical induction,
But at least if they move the existing PCP all the associated cabling should get routed well away from that HV cable, and fingers xrossed for the op that they get a D'side pair that is free from it
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jul-13 19:45:38
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
HV cable near to telephony cables =electrical induction?.

Like all electrical interference, it mainly comes if the cables run in parallel. If they cross at 90 degrees, then there is much less likelihood of problems.

We should ask how on earth the HV line ended up encased in the concrete footings...
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Fri 05-Jul-13 23:11:20
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
We should ask how on earth the HV line ended up encased in the concrete footings...

Indeed. Surely they must be a bit deeper/slightly away from the footings of a PCP, and they're just playing it safe, but still... someone made a bit of a silly planning decision, didn't they, depending on which was there first.

As has been said though, hopefully the wait will be worth it, a PCP relocated to a preferable (fingers crossed...) location is almost unheard of, isn't it?

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Fri 05-Jul-13 23:12:18)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jul-13 13:14:37
Print Post

The FTTP ducting has been installed and we're now just waiting for installation.

So you are earmarked for FTTP ? Have you tried actually ordering said product ? Just 'cos the duct is in, doesn't mean that it will be installed automatically.

Standard User garethr
(regular) Sat 06-Jul-13 14:12:59
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

So you are earmarked for FTTP ? Have you tried actually ordering said product ? Just 'cos the duct is in, doesn't mean that it will be installed automatically.

We already have ducts with TP and COAX (CATV). The duct I'm referring to is fibre subduct - it isn't for anything else. We also have multiple confirmations. It took a team of 2 engineers about 4 weeks to install. But, we don't yet have a 'GO LIVE' date. The Exchange is a C/P and the only FTTP is where I live. The two cabs I'm referring to are the last to go live on the Exchange. Oh apart from the warehouse that has its own FTTC cab - oh yes I am serious.

The cab I'm on is worse than the one with the electrical problem. It is also in hedge in someone's front garden and is cross connected to the other cab. So you can wire house on cab a to house on cab b... Why... Search me, but the interconnection has been used to attach a few people to a different E side cable which is slightly shorter. Moot of the E side pairs that aren't connected are marked as voice only.

We did think BT would FTTP the lot because its so ballsed. I guess they are now wishing they did too.

Yes the electrical infrastructure is bad too they are digging most of that up in the next few months.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
Standard User garethr
(regular) Sat 06-Jul-13 14:17:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

We already have ducts with TP and COAX (CATV). The duct I'm referring to is fibre subduct - it isn't for anything else. We also have multiple confirmations. It took a team of 2 engineers about 4 weeks to install. But, we don't yet have a 'GO LIVE' date. The Exchange is a C/P and the only FTTP is where I live. The two cabs I'm referring to are the last to go live on the Exchange. Oh apart from the warehouse that has its own FTTC cab - oh yes I am serious.

The cab I'm on is worse than the one with the electrical problem. It is also in a hedge in someone's front garden and is cross connected to the other cab. So you can wire house on cab a to house on cab b... Why... Search me, but the interconnection has been used to attach a few people to a different E side cable which is slightly shorter. Moot of the E side pairs that aren't connected are marked as voice only.

We did think BT would FTTP the lot because its so ballsed. I guess they are now wishing they did too. The cost model isn't the same because we already have the underground network. However, on the area covered by FTTC I believe there could be a few houses build in the last 10 years which don't have the same u/g ducting

Yes the electrical infrastructure is bad too they are digging most of that up in the next few months.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth

Edited by garethr (Sat 06-Jul-13 14:18:06)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-13 09:12:06
Print Post

Most of the E side pairs that aren't connected are marked as voice only.

Do you work for 'them' ? Unusual choice of phrase to use. wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to