General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User philask
(newbie) Fri 05-Jul-13 22:25:40
Print Post

Disappointing speed.. new line for shorter line length?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in a residential street about 1 km from the telephone exchange, there are numerous cabinets up and down the street and yet the best I can get on BT Infinity is just under 30 mbit/sec... I appreciate this is still considered "good" but I wonder why I can't get the full 40 (and/or 76) considering how close the cabinets appear to be... I wondered if I got BT to install a new line there's a possibility that could end up with a shorter line length and I'd get better speeds?

Is there any definitive way to find out which cabinet I'm using and exactly how far it is? I've called BT but all I get is the "you're within our acceptable speed, we can send you a leaflet, blah blah..."
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jul-13 22:52:46
Print Post

Re: Disappointing speed.. new line for shorter line length?

[re: philask] [link to this post]

Telephone number in https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html should show cabinet number and numbers are written the cabinets

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Jul-13 23:05:39
Print Post

Re: Disappointing speed.. new line for shorter line length?

[re: philask] [link to this post]

As MrSaffron says, plus you may be looking at VM Cable cabinets. I have pictures of several types of BT and VM ones on this page.

BT cabinet numbers are normally 3 digit numbers or fewer. VM ones much longer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to