General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 00:17:58
Print Post

Sync Speeds Slowly Dropping - Advice required

[link to this post]

I have been with BT Infinity for approximately one year and over that time my sync speeds have gradually dropped from 80/20 to 57/17 and I'm wondering whether there is a problem on my line or do I accept the fact that it's caused by crosstalk?

My initial stats when i was syncing at 80/20 can be found here:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/icemansin/J...

Here are the stats for my current sync speed of 57/17:

http://s491.photobucket.com/user/icemansin/media/JDS...

Can anyone spot an obvious problem? Or is this just down to crosstalk?

I have called BT customer services who have finally agreed to send a BT Openreach Engineer out (after spending several hours on the phone to them) as my speeds have now dropped below the initial estimated speeds I was quoted of approx 63/20. Do you think I should proceed and go ahead with the appointment with the BT Openreach Engineer or is this a waste of time?

Any input/advice would be appreciated.
Standard User ryant704
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 11:12:39
Print Post

Re: Sync Speeds Slowly Dropping - Advice required

[re: Icemansin] [link to this post]

From just skimming over it looks very much like Crosstalk. I say don't cancel the engineer though I doubt he will find anything, it's always nice to have your line checked now and then. smile
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jul-13 11:43:35
Print Post

The Hlog graph hasn't changed, suggesting no real difference to the physical line.

The QLN graph shows the increase in noise throughout the spectrum, suggesting crosstalk. The SNR graph corresponds to the increase in noise by showing less margin available for signal - again, throughout the spectrum.

The sync data indicates that you are still on fastpath, without FEC or interleaving downstream (R=0, D=1 respectively). A higher error rate, but obviously not enough to trigger DLM.

What's the new estimate?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icemansin
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 13:31:39
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
From just skimming over it looks very much like Crosstalk. I say don't cancel the engineer though I doubt he will find anything, it's always nice to have your line checked now and then. smile

But should I worry about the fact that if they don't find a fault, that I could potentially be charged for the call out?
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 13:38:33
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
The Hlog graph hasn't changed, suggesting no real difference to the physical line.

The QLN graph shows the increase in noise throughout the spectrum, suggesting crosstalk. The SNR graph corresponds to the increase in noise by showing less margin available for signal - again, throughout the spectrum.

The sync data indicates that you are still on fastpath, without FEC or interleaving downstream (R=0, D=1 respectively). A higher error rate, but obviously not enough to trigger DLM.

What's the new estimate?

Thanks WWWombat.

The new speed estimates from BT are the following: 53.5Mb/13.2Mb.

From what you're saying it seems like the reduction is down to there just being more noise being caused by crosstalk? I never thought it would wipe over 20Mbps from my sync speed though.

Do you think a BT Openreach engineer would be able to do anything? Maybe change to a different port in the FTTC cabinet? Or am I just clutching at straws? I have scheduled the appointment for this coming Friday, so I still have time to cancel, if need be. My worry is that this will continue to drop and that I need to draw the line somewhere. I think that losing over 20Mbps from my sync speed is a massive amount and that it will only continue head south.

Edited by Icemansin (Tue 09-Jul-13 00:18:31)

Standard User ryant704
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 13:47:37
Print Post

You will only be charged if the problem is within your home, which is very unlikely as your speed reduction is due to crosstalk.

You can lose more than 20Mbps, I've seen a 32Mbps loss from crosstalk. Changing port won't really do anything it might make the Discovery and Medley phase better or worse, it isn't worth bothering about.

You need to hope that Openreach actually adopt and roll out Vectoring, it's currently being trialed. I would imagine it will be rolled out or they're going to have some problems in the future and a bunch of angry customers (so to speak).
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 14:55:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by ryant704:
You will only be charged if the problem is within your home, which is very unlikely as your speed reduction is due to crosstalk.

You can lose more than 20Mbps, I've seen a 32Mbps loss from crosstalk. Changing port won't really do anything it might make the Discovery and Medley phase better or worse, it isn't worth bothering about.

You need to hope that Openreach actually adopt and roll out Vectoring, it's currently being trialed. I would imagine it will be rolled out or they're going to have some problems in the future and a bunch of angry customers (so to speak).

Thanks ryant704.

Do you think that unlocking the BT openreach modem would cause an issue? Or do you think I should reset everything back, for when the engineer arrives?

So if this drop in sync speed is solely down to crosstalk, it looks like I'm a bit screwed. However BT customer services have stated that they are obliged to provide speeds that I was initially quoted in the estimate before signing the contract (which is 63Mb/20Mb). So how are they going to resolve this then? Or are they not in breach of the contract?

Edited by Icemansin (Tue 09-Jul-13 00:19:57)

Standard User ryant704
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 18:48:21
Print Post

Nah, the Modem is phone he may question it if it's a HG612 and your vendor is an ECI but just say it's there so you can monitor the line.

That is correct, they will allow you to change ISP without you needing to pay the remaining time of your contract or they will offer to knock a bit of your bill.

There is no way to get your speed back, changing ISP won't fix the problem but could be a reason to leave to join a better deal for the summer.
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Fri 12-Jul-13 14:32:43
Print Post

So the BT Openreach engineer came round today and did a few checks and as expected, no problem was found on the line. He did mention that the underground cabling in the area wasn't the best as there is a mixture of both Aluminium and Copper.

He then rang and reported the results to someone and was told not to investigate further as I'm within the estimates provided. The only thing is that they were basing this off the new estimates provided not the ones that were given when I first signed up to BT Infinity.

I guess I'm just stuck now right?
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 12-Jul-13 15:48:14
Print Post

I believe you have two options now which are...

1. Complain to your ISP that you didn't sign the contract for the current estimates, they will either push for further investigation or allow you to be released from your contract without paying the remaining amount of months. If BT they will deny both but Ombudsman should allow you to leave.

2. You bite the bullet and live with it.

It's probably true you cannot get anymore speed but it's always nice to see what offers and services some ISP are currently offering.

Edited by ryant704 (Fri 12-Jul-13 15:59:28)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to