General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MattTheHat
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-13 09:39:35
Print Post

Leeds city centre

[link to this post]

o/ folks,

Does anyone have any thoughts on what will happen with fttc/fttp in Leeds city centre now that the the super connected cities project seems to have turned into nothing more than a glorified voucher project?

The main Leeds exchange has no plans for fttc that I can see and looks like our line is connected to a cab rather than going directly to the exchange. Do we think that this means openreach may roll out fttc at some point? All the surrounding exchanges are already enabled so its a bit sad that the centre isnt frown
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-13 09:50:23
Print Post

Re: Leeds city centre

[re: MattTheHat] [link to this post]

Leeds City Centre isn't eligible for BDUK funding and BT have no plans to deploy FTTC there.

The voucher scheme may, I guess, end up with BT being given said vouchers in return for FTTC deployment.
Standard User MattTheHat
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:01:57
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Meh, thats what I thought. Bit of a shame really, i wonder if BT didnt do the city centre in anticipation of getting a wad of cash from the super connected cities malarkey. Wonder how many businesses etc are actually served by that exchange and would sign up for fttc given that there isnt anything but dsl available in the local area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:12:12
Print Post

Or, how many would down grade their expensive leased lines if FTTC was available.......

(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:42:30
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Or, how many would down grade their expensive leased lines if FTTC was available.......

This.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Wed 10-Jul-13 15:03:20
Print Post

Greetings!

I stumbled upon this and thought I'd let you know that Leeds is potential HyperCity - please do encourage your neighbours to register their interest in Hyperoptic via our website.

If there is demand for hyperfast speeds, we'll come Leeds.

A sense a campaign coming..."Register for faster speeds in Leeds!" I know what you're thinking...poetry isn't a strong point.

Sunita

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jul-13 16:28:39
Print Post

Followed by the complaints when at 6pm on a Friday a large important video conference fails due to congestion as the World Cup runs into overtime etc

There will be those who don't need leased lines who have one, but the decision to drop to lower SLA services like GEA-FTTC needs to be thought of carefully.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-13 18:37:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed, hence why operators offer enhanced care options.

Alongside this are assured data rates.

Well handled QoS on the part of the IT guy at the site will ensure that the video conference gets all the bandwidth it needs with anything else secondary. A well planned and implemented network should ensure that those who actually genuinely need leased lines for everything are a minority, and either a full FTTC migration or a hybrid running FTTC as a primary and a lower bandwidth leased line as backup are an option.

Some businesses are actually required to carry certain traffic on lines which do not carry their Internet traffic. FTTC is a boon to them.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jul-13 18:47:11
Print Post

yeap we know all that, but most I bet just look at the price and buy based on that and a sales person reassurance. Hence the frequency of I am losing hundreds of pounds a business every day, and my broadband has been broke for a week...and turns out they are on the cheapest ADSL2+ package with none of the extra options.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-13 18:49:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
yeap we know all that, but most I bet just look at the price and buy based on that and a sales person reassurance. Hence the frequency of I am losing hundreds of pounds a business every day, and my broadband has been broke for a week...and turns out they are on the cheapest ADSL2+ package with none of the extra options.

Let the buyer beware. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to