General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kio9
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-13 14:44:15
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 vs Sky Fibre

[link to this post]

I'm going to be switching my internet to either BT Infinity 2 or Sky Fibre. I'm just unsure which to go for.

I'm looking to choose the best package that won't cap my speeds.

I looked up this earlier, however it is from December of last year.

http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/bt-infinity-vs-sky-fib...

Does the traffic management part in the table still apply?

Basically, looking for the best gaming wise also. P2P as well.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-13 15:56:36
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 vs Sky Fibre

[re: Kio9] [link to this post]

If you order Unlimited Pro from Sky then same speeds as Infinity 2.

Ignore the FTTP comments (160 Meg unless in your area, and Sky don't sell that yet).

Various price changes, and BT relaxed traffic some time ago to allow totally unlimited label.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 09-Jul-13 20:50:16
Print Post

the unlimited infinity products now have no traffic management (barring old customers who didnt recontract).

In terms of FUP, traffic management etc. Sky and BT are now equal.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Jul-13 21:11:32
Print Post

Is there a reason that you are restricting yourself to BT and their Infinity branding for FTTC?

I personally would go for Plusnet, but you may have already dismissed them (and others), so there's little point in offering alternatives if that's the case.
Standard User Kio9
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 10:43:19
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Is there a reason that you are restricting yourself to BT and their Infinity branding for FTTC?

I personally would go for Plusnet, but you may have already dismissed them (and others), so there's little point in offering alternatives if that's the case.

Their restrictions on P2P is the reason.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-13 11:11:13
Print Post

What restrictions?

There aren't any restrictions on the unlimited packages (which is what you seem to be looking at), and only 2 hours of restrictions on the Essentials package.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-13 11:33:18
Print Post

I tend to look at it from the "do I want to fully unbundle my line" aspect.

If you are happy with this then SKY is an option, if not then BT, Plusnet etc are your options.

I have never been prepared for my line to be fully unbundled so when looking at fibre I did not consider SKY.

The nature of FTTC means that suppliers are pretty much of a muchness (more so than ADSL2) so my dislike of SKY for my earlier issues on ADSL no longer apply.

Still happy with BT for now but when the contract period is up I will be considering PlusNet.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:18:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kio9:
Their restrictions on P2P is the reason.

Your info is well out dated, as WWWombat says, there are no restrictions on unlimited.

I've been with Plus Net for ten years at home, and at work we've just signed up for business fibre with them, they seem much better value than BT.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 10-Jul-13 13:19:19)

Standard User Kio9
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 23:15:30
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I was basing it on this guide:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

I have gone with BT now as I liked what they offered. But I see that you can get the add on for totally unlimited on Plusnet. For future reference, are they very good with the add on?

Heard BT own them?

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Jul-13 00:24:00
Print Post

I think you have misunderstood that link. Assuming you aren't reading a cached out of date version.

There is no rate limiting at all on the current unlimited products. Just like BT Retail and Sky.

There is a traffic prioritisation system shown on that page. What that does is make sure that gaming and VOIP traffic, also live streaming, gets priority on your connection and on PlusNet as a whole over P2P and browsing. This is particularly important in multi-user households where some may be watching live streamed HD TV, somebody on a VOIP phone call, and someone using P2P.

On Sky and BT, without any such prioritisation, the P2P could make the others unusable.

Fot that reason, the Pro option you mention to remove prioritisation is not recommended for the current unlimited products, only legacy ones that are rate capped at times.

Have you come across this article?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to