General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colesy3
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 15:51:54
Print Post

Has anyone had their E/O line upgraded for Fibre ?

[link to this post]

Hi, I have had the official reply back from BTO confirming I am on E/O lines and because of cost they can't or won't help me get Fibre. See part of their statement below.

"Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each exchange and in turn, how broadband is delivered from the exchange. Unfortunately, as your line is fed directly from the exchange it fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the solution to deploy Fibre Broadband to lines connected this way would not provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs."

So I am asking if anyone else was on a E/O line but now BTO have upgraded them to Fibre either through BTO cost or BDUK cost, or it is being talked out.

Thanks

John.

Bloxboy
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 12-Jul-13 15:58:19
Print Post

Re: Has anyone had their E/O line upgraded for Fibre ?

[re: colesy3] [link to this post]

BDUK looks at solution for EO lines, I can't remember but somewhere were targeting EO lines soon.

I want to say Cornwall but don't quote me on that...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 16:17:01
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Cornwall is doing EO lines, but not a BDUK project.

North Yorkshire was planning to, not sure if actually converted any yet, and other counties will also if they are to meet their targets e.g. Surrey at very close to 100%, East and West Sussex at 97 and 98%

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User phil_w73
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 16:24:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Eagerly anticipating 1st September accepting orders date on our North Yorkshire village which is E/O (Snainton) - who knows - might actually be true!
Standard User hopkapi
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:30:50
Print Post

[re: colesy3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by colesy3:
So I am asking if anyone else was on a E/O line but now BTO have upgraded them to Fibre either through BTO cost or BDUK cost, or it is being talked out.

Openreach's FTTP at Canary Wharf does appear to have replaced EO lines, though I think it was more of a trial of FTTP in a MDU (flats) than much else.
Standard User geo12
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:31:10
Print Post

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

I live in Cornwall and had my EO line upgraded for fibre in April. Cabinet and its fibre twin were installed at the exchange and the EO lines were migrated to it.
I am about 900 metres from the cabinet/exchange and get around 21Mbps down and 2.2 Mbps up. Don't think this solution is any good for long EO lines as BT/OR don't seem to be installing cabs away from the exchanges.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-13 15:39:24
Print Post

[re: geo12] [link to this post]

Is that significantly better than ADSL2+ (if you had that available before?)
Standard User HarryHomers
(regular) Tue 16-Jul-13 20:00:21
Print Post

That's about how far we are from the exchange, but, we already sync at 1895 / 20171 kbps on adsl2+ with annex M now, are you sure you have moved over ?
Standard User geo12
(newbie) Wed 17-Jul-13 11:49:04
Print Post

[re: HarryHomers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by HarryHomers:
That's about how far we are from the exchange, but, we already sync at 1895 / 20171 kbps on adsl2+ with annex M now, are you sure you have moved over ?
Was previously on ADSL2+ with 17Mbps download and 1.5Mbps upload. So you can see this is not a significant upgrade to my speeds. Strangely enough I am the only one at this distance from the cab/exchange to be able to upgrade to fibre as I had to get OR/BTW to update their database before it happened.
Superfast Cornwall also state that this solution for EO lines is still being evaluated and that general roll out in Cornwall will be started once it has been completed.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:43:05
Print Post

did you go for a 2M upstream product deliberately ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to