General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 01:40:04
Print Post

How to find out what cabinet i'm on

[link to this post]

I was told by some BT bod about a year ago that my flat had it's feed coming in direct from the exchange so that would be FTP (if we had it round here) but having some some enquirers on sam knows etc it would seem my exchange is taking FTC, so i rang my telco BT and asked them how could i find out if my line was indeed to the exchange or to a cabinet well BT in there wisdom told me only way i could find out was to ring the council, [censored].

So does anyone know how i can find out for sure if my line goes to a cabinet or the exchange if a cabinet what cabinet it is? As I'm told that i need to know the cabinet in question [censored] knows why though.

All1
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jul-13 01:50:01
Print Post

Re: How to find out what cabinet i'm on

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

The BT Wholesale ADSL checker will tell you which cabinet you are connected to;

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Jul-13 01:52:53
Print Post

Put your phone # in BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER. If it states a cab # in:
Telephone Number 0118nnnnnnn on Exchange READING is served by Cabinet 10
that's the 1. Otherwise you are Exchange only (EO).

It will also tell you whether you can get FTTC/P.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 21:43:59
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Well i'm far from an expert but it looks like i'm a FTP job which means years of waiting.

Availability Date

Featured Products
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- 2 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Jan-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2014.

Thanks for the links folks

All1
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Jul-13 14:21:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by alloneword:
Well i'm far from an expert but it looks like i'm a FTP job which means years of waiting.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick...

Being on an EO line does NOT mean that BT will deploy SFBB to you using FTTP, either in the near future or far future. It's way more complicated than that!

EO lines *may* be given SFBB using FTTP, but there is no guarantee, and the likelihood is pretty low anyway.

EO lines *may* alternatively be given SFBB using FTTC, in a procedure known as a "network re-arrangement" where a new PCP is added to the copper lines, and then an FTTC cabinet connected to it.

This latter method is, perversely, much more likely. However, it is also more costly than standard (though still cheaper than FTTP), and usually fails to meet the commercial viability tests - so most EO lines are being left out of the commercial rollout and relegated to the BDUK projects. And no matter whether the line ends up being done as part of the commercial or BDUK rollout, it is likely to be left towards the end.

This process is currently going on in Cornwall, but nowhere else yet

So you're probably right that it is going to be a few more years, even to find out.
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:15:14
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

OK Wombat thanks for that, i thought my only option was FTTP, however from what you say i'm not going to be looking at anything better then ADSL2 for a long time to come, the joy's of living in central London for you.

All1
  Print Thread

Jump to