General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 14-Jul-13 07:14:51
Print Post

Downloads and uploads

[link to this post]

This has probably been answered before, but I can't find it- if it has, a link to the thread will do!

And it's not a problem, I'm just curious.

I'm on an 80/20 product, profiles are 69.5 down and 20 up. Speedtests (anybody's, both IPv4 and IPv6) typically give me 66Mbps down (~95% of profile) and 16.5Mbps up (~82% of profile).

Why the difference in the percentages? Is it likely to be something at my end, something inherent in the protocols or something else?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.______________Planes and Boats and ... Updated___________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 10:19:47
Print Post

Re: Downloads and uploads

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
This has probably been answered before, but I can't find it- if it has, a link to the thread will do!

And it's not a problem, I'm just curious.

I'm on an 80/20 product, profiles are 69.5 down and 20 up. Speedtests (anybody's, both IPv4 and IPv6) typically give me 66Mbps down (~95% of profile) and 16.5Mbps up (~82% of profile).

Why the difference in the percentages? Is it likely to be something at my end, something inherent in the protocols or something else?
The Huwaei modem at least has QoS active by default and disabling it will give you an upload boost to around 18.5Mb/s. You do have to unlock it first though.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13737...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User legume
(experienced) Sun 14-Jul-13 10:57:14
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
The Huwaei modem at least has QoS active by default and disabling it will give you an upload boost to around 18.5Mb/s. You do have to unlock it first though.

Luckily (as they are harder to unlock) my ECI doesn't suffer from this.
I get 18.5 upload.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 14-Jul-13 11:11:34
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
I'd forgotten about the modem's QoS, I'm pretty sure that's been mentioned on here before blush

Thanks smile

I don't need the extra upload speed, so I'll just leave it as is.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.______________Planes and Boats and ... Updated___________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 14-Jul-13 11:33:57
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Just as a point of interest, the upstream IP Profile is irrelevant as well. It is always the maximum upload speed of the Openreach product. So 2/10/20.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to