General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steve14
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 09:55:59
Print Post

How long after FTTC cab installed could you order FTTC?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Worked finished on upgrading the cabinet I'm connected to about 4 weeks ago. I'm still not able to order an FTTC connection.

How long did it take for you guys to be able to order FTTC once the cabinet was up?
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Mon 15-Jul-13 10:05:14
Print Post

Re: How long after FTTC cab installed could you order FTTC?

[re: steve14] [link to this post]

3 months.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 15-Jul-13 10:07:45
Print Post

Can be weeks/months. can try emailing nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk and they may give you an update or post exchange/cab number and someone maybe able to find out

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jul-13 10:15:37
Print Post

Perhaps it would be a good idea if this thread was stickied, this seems to come up on a weekly basis now.

There is no set time, it could be a matter of weeks, months or even over a year. We have one cab in our area installed last May, and still not live.

It all depends on whether fibre is already installed, and whether there are any problems connecting power, tie cable's and fibre, they are all normally done at different times.

Standard User steve14
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 10:20:09
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info guys and I'm surprised how fast you guys answered.

I have sent openreach an email as suggested. Up to 15 working days for a reply ... that's 3 weeks! If it takes that long to reply to email, I can see why it takes so long to get a FTTC working.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 15-Jul-13 19:54:37
Print Post

It used to be about 2 weeks, they have alot of requests and its a small team so better to say 3 week wait and reply to you before then.

FTTC rollout in any area depends on alot of factors, why some areas will be enabled quicker then others, openreach should give a good rough idea when it will be live.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User sjdean
(regular) Tue 16-Jul-13 08:38:19
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I think part of the problem is all the stories going around about what it involves.

Some say they cabinet is installed and then they connect to power.

While in our case, they dug the trenches for the power and to the BT junction boxes, layed out concrete base for the cabinet, installed the cabinet and connected the power, filled in the holes and then leaving the cabinets.

Think the major work will be blowing the fibre.

Do they blow a fibre from the exchange for each box, or is there like a back bone system with feeder cables from the box to the backbone?

I guess some of us can't understand why when they can install the cabinets that quickly, why they can't actually do the fibre runs that quickly.

Simon
Standard User steve14
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 08:46:44
Print Post

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

Openreach actually replied to me with in a couple of hours, which was surprisingly quick. They said it just needs testing and commissioning before it goes live.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:31:20
Print Post

The reality is that it varies. Cabinets are off-loaded with all the kit in them, so that part is pretty quick.

The fibre blowing depends on the state of the ducting and how busy that team is doing all the other jobs.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:33:30
Print Post

They run a spine cable from the exchange to point (node) somewhere outside which contains multiple fibres. Then fibres are blown from the node(s) to the caionets, or often via other node(s) to the cabinets.
The problems with getting the fibres in are usually down to blocked or full duct routes, which then require digging/excavating.
  Print Thread

Jump to