General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cisco_kid75
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:31:24
Print Post

MRBLA - Manchester City Blackfriars

[link to this post]

Anyone on here know what's happening in the MRBLA area. BTOR appear to be progressing very slowly with FTTC cab upgrades in the MRBLA area.

Waiting for upgrade of PCP132. Fibre cab installed April 2012. Kept emailing nga.enquiries, month after month, getting further and further delayed (had every excuse they can think of)

Last update from NGA team was MRBLA PCP132 due to go live early July 13. Still not live, can't tell if it is because the fibre cab an EC128 and I believe you can't hear the fans in these unlike the Huawei 288s)

Number of cabs which appear to be on the fibre spine route for PCP132 (PCP 27, 54 and 118) not live yet either, all but PCP27 have FTTC (EC128s) installed mid last year!

Latest FTTC Deployment Report file on BTOR shows PCP132 scheduled for 31/03/2014
NGA Enquiries say early July 2013
BTW systems - ie. BT.com says sometime 'between October 2013 and March 2014' for my telephone number served off MRBLA PCP132.
Spoke to many PSTN - BTOR engineers I've grabbed hold of when seen working on PCPs in my area - they don't seem to know either.

Not sure if the NGA team know what's going on either.... Anyone out there enlightened?

Stuck on 3.5Mbps (53dB att.) on the edge of Manchester City Centre at the moment. FRUSTRATED is an understatement!!!
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 15-Jul-13 21:22:46
Print Post

Re: MRBLA - Manchester City Blackfriars

[re: cisco_kid75] [link to this post]

I am in a similar situation with MRARD. I live near to the "border" with Blackfriars around Ancoatd, my cab has not been upgraded yet.
BT said to me that they were planning on the upgrade near the end of 2013, but the BT Wholesale checker makes no mention of any expected date when I enter my phone number.

what's doubly annoying is that I am with Be* currently, so I will soon have to make the decision of whether to stay with Sky or to move on. Knowing the state of my cab would certainly help the decision!

That being said, I currently get 10/1.3, so my speeds aren't chronic. I wouldn't mind more upload, but if desperate I can tether via my phone which gets 2.8mbit up! (thanks, Three)
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 23:30:33
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

What's your postcode? Can see one cabinet served off MRARD which has a Future RFS date for 30/09/13 (PCP21) the remaining cabs under MRARD have no Future RFS dates filled in at present.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 16:31:28
Print Post

NGA have now come back to me again saying that Cab 132 off MRBLA has been delayed further due to further unforeseen infrastructure problems and are now working to November 2013.

In order words, BTOR have serious resourcing problems, preventing them from completing work in a timely manner :/

MRBLA went live for FTTC in March 2012. Cab 132 installed April 2012, 15 months later still not live.

19 months to bring an installed FTTC cab live. Have this one broken any records? smile
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 16-Jul-13 18:02:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by cisco_kid75:
Have this one broken any records? smile

Certainly in the use of acronyms.............
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Tue 16-Jul-13 23:07:47
Print Post

Yes, that's not my PCP. Bit of a pain, suspect that I'll need to email the NGA enquiries service again sometime soon.
Standard User daveyc
(newbie) Wed 17-Jul-13 23:03:48
Print Post

I'm on MRBLA PCP139 and NGA Enquiries tell me that cab "isn't commercially viable"! There are hundreds of flats connected to it but maybe that isn't enough...who knows? This is in Manchester City Centre.
Standard User Goater666
(regular) Tue 30-Jul-13 11:43:54
Print Post

We are on PCP27 and have been told the delay for us has been caused by the United Utilities works that are current ongoing on Chester Rd/Hulme Hall Road. They are doing some massive sewer upgrade works and there have been about 5 BT vans onsite for the last month or two.

When i emailed NGA the response was "The cabinet serving your premises has been included in the roll out. Unfortunately, due to a new road scheme we are having to move the location of the cabinet. Due to this we do not have any timescales of when fibre will be available."

So when will we get fibre? who knows...

Edited by Goater666 (Tue 30-Jul-13 11:45:28)

(newbie) Wed 31-Jul-13 18:22:15
Print Post

[re: Goater666] [link to this post]

Not strictly true. I personally think BTOR forgot about PCP27 as it hasn't appeared in their roll out plans until recently (around Feb 2013) when it suddenly appeared on their list. It serves multiple posts codes (some of Chester Road, Hulme Hall Road, Ellesmere St and small percentage of lines at the St. George's Island development) There is no date against PCP27 at the moment and no L2S port has been prepared for the future fibre cab as yet either. It is true that they are having to move PCP27 as it is in the way of the major UU dig for the sewer works. Therefore, they've installed a new PCP literally around 7 metres away (towards the junction of Chester Road) from the original PCP27. They are currently in the process of moving all the copper connections to the new cabinet (I think they've nearly finished) and will then remove the old PCP27. I very much doubt that a fibre cab for PCP27 will appear until the major works are completed a year from now around mid August 2014. So it's likely that FTTC for PCP27 won't go live until Autumn/Winter 2014

Some of the developments (St. Georges Church, Lock building, Timber Wharf and Moho) are ear marked for FTTP but not sure if that's final at the moment (subject to consent by the flat leaseholders/landlord over internal cabling costs no doubt) may slip down to FTTPoD or FTTC yet.

I do know that they've completed the fibre work in close vicinity to PCP132 as I've seen them installing Fibre Aggregation Nodes and running fibre in recent months. I think the provisions have been made for PCP27 and for remaining developments along Ellesmere St. Also, a new development is going up on Ellesmere St (building starting Autumn 2013) so BTOR probably have been working on providing capacity for those new homes too.
(learned) Fri 28-Feb-14 17:03:55
Print Post

Cab 132 served by Manchester Blackfriars (MRBLA) still not live. 22 months since first installed. Now waiting for power and has been since November 2013. No job request for power has even been submitted to Electricity Northwest yet.

So dissatisfied with BTOR's lack of progress, I have been in contact with Liv Garfield (until her recent departure) and a Richard Hall (Project Director for FTTx) querying the situation. Email exchanges were very positive in the beginning, saying they'd investigate further however communications dropped off when I got a response from Mr Hall saying "I've not seen any notices for power yet?" when I asked "Has a job pack been issued to the power company to service the cab with power yet?" I get complete silence! In other words, that's a NO!

Goater666, the fibre cab for PCP27 is not going to be installed until at least Winter 2014, possibly early 2015 as they cannot access the area until the United Utilities sewer works complete in December 2014. So, don't expect to get FTTC until Spring 2015, possibly longer.

BTOR are too interested in chasing BDUK (free) money rather than spending their own!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to