General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Iain_Chapman
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-13 19:00:53
Print Post

Advice: Exchange Upgraded, but not individual cabinets

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice please.

My local exchange was recently upgraded by BT for FTTC. As part of this work BT has deployed FTTC cabinets alongside the majority of it's existing PCPs.

However, the PCP that I'm connected to was not included in this deployment. When I contacted BT to enquire on it's plans regarding the PCP it replied that:

"The rollout is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet. Unfortunately when assessed cabinet did not met these and is not included in the rollout programme. Whilst we monitor cabinet situations, even where numbers have increased there is no guarantee that a cabinet would be reassessed for inclusion in the commercial project. Where cabinets are not included in the commercial rollout Government funding (via BDUK) is available to Borough and County councils to improve fibre coverage and it is worth contacting your Council in relation to this."

As indicated I connected "Connecting Devon and Somerset" (the local BDUK scheme) but they replied that they wouldn't be looking to upgrade the PCP as they can't invest in areas where there is already a NGA (ie BT) due to EU State Aid regulation.

So it would seem that BT has no plans and think that BDUK should fill the gap, and BDUK say they can't because BT has invested in the area. By my calculations there are about 200 homes connected to the PCP

I don't live anywhere difficult/strange (ie I'm not in the middle of a field, middle of nowhere). I live on a 1990 housing estate which is surrounded by other estates of a simillar area, near to a large town. The surrounding estates have received FTTC. Additional to cable up the other PCPs in the surround area it was necessary for BT contractors to pull it via the manhole in front of "my" PCP.

Just curious to understand from others whether this is a toughluck situation or whether there are other avenues that I should be making a noise to?.

Thank you

Iain
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 26-Jul-13 20:04:38
Print Post

Re: Advice: Exchange Upgraded, but not individual cabinets

[re: Iain_Chapman] [link to this post]

Did you contact Openreach?

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Jul-13 20:41:06
Print Post

Do you have Virgin cable available?

As that would stop BDUK upgrading your cabinet, having surrounding cabinets upgraded to FTTC shouldn't make any difference to BDUK.

If you don't have Vigin cable available, and you don't have FTTC or FFTP, then you don't have NGA and you need to go back to Connecting Devon and Somerset.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-13 21:40:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BatBoy,

Yes, the section in bold in my original post was the reply from Openreach (sorry I said BT) obtained by contacting the nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk email address.

Thanks

Iain
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-13 21:42:25
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Hi R0NSKI,

Thanks for the reply. No, there is no Virgin Cable available in the area.

Iain.
Standard User somerset
(committed) Fri 26-Jul-13 22:29:54
Print Post

Send both replies to both. What's your exchange and cabinet number?
Standard User electro
(regular) Sat 27-Jul-13 01:30:34
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

Hi Iain, I'm in the same boat as you, most parts of the town have sprouted FTTC cabinets but there are pockets of people on cabinets that aren't being upgrade for the same reason, I'm also in Devon and I'm also keeping an eye on the usually-outdated CD&S website for any hint of new information and signs of an upgrade, but alas, no joy yet. I imagine we're in for a few more years in the slow lane yet frown

Do let me know which town you are in, either here or via PM if more comfortable.
Cheers!
-Dave
Standard User gah789
(newbie) Sat 27-Jul-13 08:51:35
Print Post

[re: electro] [link to this post]

You and others from the area affected should contact your local councillor(s) about this as well as the chairman of the committee which oversees CDS and even your MP. As noted, you have been given incorrect information about the eligibility of your cabinet to be upgraded under the BDUK program. It seems that the person at CDS who responded to your query simply does understand the state aid provisions.

The only circumstances under which there could be any doubt would be if a part of your postcode was covered by an upgraded cabinet and a part not, but even then the uncovered part would not be debarred by state aid rules. None of this will guarantee that your cabinet passes the CDS threshold for spending money on upgrades. Still, at least they ought to assess the cost and give you a proper justification as to whether it is economic to upgrade your cabinet rather than making spurious claims about state aid.
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sat 27-Jul-13 12:36:58
Print Post

Hello Iain,

I am also in Devon and my experience mirrors yours. In short my cabinet was on the FTTC enable list as confirmed twice in emails from BT, with dates "...in the area of third quarter of 2012 ....". I produced business expansion plans on that basis ( Home based media business). Before accessing business loans I made a final check with BT as many cabs surrounding mine (urban area, seaside town) were having work done but nothing on mine. They told me it was now off the list - same copy and paste reason "commercial viability". Discussions with BT managers ensued, they told me to access CDS (BDUK), they told me that subject to their survey process etc etc I could hold out hope for their programme of infill to get FTTC on my cabinet. I hold off on the expansion and start to miss out on work as I can't shift the large files fast enough.

No news on infill since the initial CDS comment in March 2013 so I recently spoke to them again and lo and behold the same reply as you, incomprehensible State Aid EU legislation. Lost main contract, gone to a freelancer elsewhere with I assume FTTC/P. I cannot afford bonded lines and the like, nor office premises, satellite not feasible, no cable here.

Bitter? Oh yes. Thanks EU and thanks Devon LG/Central Government/BT for a great stitch-up, what a farce.

If you wish feel free to PM me Iain, maybe we can scratch heads together.

-.-. --.-
BT ADSL2+, Billion 7800N, online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User electro
(regular) Sun 28-Jul-13 00:18:42
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

....so going back to that good 'ole subject of moving house then! It's interesting that CD&S hadn't told me about these funding restrictions in previous correspondence.

One option I've looked at is to find someone across the road from me, who's house I can see (plenty of them) who can get fibre, pay for it at their property along with paying their line rental as a gesture of good will, and Wi-Fi it back to my house, possibly sharing with other neighbours are in the same boat.

Unfortunately out of the 6 people I've spoken to, one of which already has FTTC - none of them were even prepared to hear what I had to say - I suspect most of them deemed it "jargon" as soon as you said the words "superfast" and "broadband".

Ho hum!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to