General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ben_phd
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 13:43:16
Print Post

ADSL-FTTC Migration times?

[link to this post]

The cabinet my work/office phone line is connected to has just been FTTC-enabled (hurrah! at long last!) with BT wholesale predicting a 70 down 20 up connection - nothing at my house address though..disappointing really.

At the moment, our credit/debit card IP terminal runs over the broadband connection. It's our "peak" time of year at the moment so can't really afford to have it out of action for long.

What I'd like to know is, how long would a switchover take from normal ADSL to FTTC, I assume there would be downtime? There would probably be an ISP migration thrown into the mix too. I've been looking around online and can't find any sort of answer, so just looking for peoples experiences. I've got a feeling we're going to have to hold off another month but just curious really.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Jul-13 13:54:31
Print Post

Re: ADSL-FTTC Migration times?

[re: ben_phd] [link to this post]

Pick your new ISP for the FTTC connection. As long as the NTE is where your current ADSL connection is, the downtime for the PDQ machine will be negligible. A brief outage to the PSTN whilst the cabinet work is done, and again whilst testing and the filter is changed out.

There will be a little downtime on the broadband, but that will be brief also.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jul-13 13:57:26
Print Post

If you have two lines into the office then get the fttc setup on the other line, then cancel the normal broadband when you are happy that it's all working ok.

This is exactly what I did recently at work, it's the safest option, especially if changing isp.

Actual downtime of the line was only about 10 to 15 minutes whilst the engineer connected the fttc at the cab.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ben_phd
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:07:04
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
If you have two lines into the office then get the fttc setup on the other line, then cancel the normal broadband when you are happy that it's all working ok.

This is exactly what I did recently at work, it's the safest option, especially if changing isp.

Actual downtime of the line was only about 10 to 15 minutes whilst the engineer connected the fttc at the cab.

Only one line unfortunately! "Peak time" should only be another 3 weeks or so, will probably just be patient - have been waiting long enough until now so it won't hurt to hold on a little longer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:23:37
Print Post

If just one line then that is the sensible thing, as while it can be fairly short downtime if it goes bad it might be a day or worse.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Jul-13 22:47:28
Print Post

What do you intend to do with the line rental? It can make a difference, depending on how it is handled now. Is it with the broadband supplier or elsewhere?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to