General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fig
(experienced) Sun 28-Jul-13 15:03:05
Print Post

All exchanges now under consideration?!

[link to this post]

Looking at the where and when page for fibre http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ it appears that all exchanges not currently taking orders or due to soon have all changed to being under consideration. Anyone know if every exchange is genuinely being looked at or is it something else?

I'm on a Market 2 exchange, due to be reclassified as Market A (BT + limited Virgin cable coverage) and didn't think that it would be upgraded any time soon so should I be a bit more positive or not?

As it's also saying they are under consideration due to BDUK funds, who are the best people to put pressure on to see the exchange looked at more favourably? I live on a large new estate and there are a lot of people wanting fibre I know and many more I know of so I'm sure a local campaign would see a lot of signatures for sign up.

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> 4/3/2009 512Kb-2Mb
O2 Standard LLU 4/3/2009 -> 23/6/2009 ~3Mb O2 Access 13/7/2009 -> 22/6/2010 ~8Mb
plusnet 22/6/2010 -> ?? ~8MB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jul-13 15:09:26
Print Post

Re: All exchanges now under consideration?!

[re: fig] [link to this post]

Well its not every exchange as mine is still showing as Not Currently In Rollout Plans

If your BDUK project has signed then its likely that the roll-out is progressing and plan underway. Of course the exchange getting FTTC does not guarantee you can get FTTC as its down to your individual cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Jul-13 15:11:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've seen exchange in the UE stage going to FE 2014 so it's clearly being looked at.

Even my parents one out in the sticks is now UE and BT have been replacing the overhead poles so I am wondering if they are going to put fibre over them?

There are no underground phone networks in that area it's been overground since the 60s

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User electro
(regular) Sun 28-Jul-13 23:54:44
Print Post

I've always thought it daft that BT map out the exchanges like that with information on their Fibre status when it's mostly about cabinet-level upgrades.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 00:32:54
Print Post

[re: electro] [link to this post]

A map show cabinets would be an improvement, but if like mine, an exchange is shown as NC you can usually expect a long wait until the upgrades financed by BDUK funding have been completed.

Michael Chare
Standard User fig
(experienced) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:18:56
Print Post

I sit corrected, it would appear not ALL are but it seems (as you suggest) that anywhere where BDUK funds may be available are now UE and not NC. Still means at least a good 12 months before I'll get anything, if at all though frown

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> 4/3/2009 512Kb-2Mb
O2 Standard LLU 4/3/2009 -> 23/6/2009 ~3Mb O2 Access 13/7/2009 -> 22/6/2010 ~8Mb
plusnet 22/6/2010 -> ?? ~8MB
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:31:57
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Even my parents one out in the sticks is now UE and BT have been replacing the overhead poles so I am wondering if they are going to put fibre over them?

Poles don't usually need replacing for FTTP, and never need replacing for FTTC. If they live in a lucky area where BT have committed to FTTP, then if the poles are particularly congested and/or have had electricity equipment above the BT stuff, then they might add a separate replacement pole... but I don't think BT and the electricity people (that sounds very vague, but who owns the "local loop" of electricity does vary from region to region) ever co-operate in replacing a pole, unless maybe a car has crashed into it or something like that.

So in short, if it's FTTC, then the whole point is that the PCP > pole > house section of the route doesn't have to be altered at all. Others will be able to correct me and/or tell you more about it, if it's FTTP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:36:28
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

If the poles are sub standard for the small extra load of the fibre tube they may get replaced

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:45:16
Print Post

[re: fig] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how useful, up to date or accurate that openreach site is.

My exchange currently has all its FTTC cabinets installed and powered up with fibre currently being blown through.

Still shows as not in roll out plans on the superfast website.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:56:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the poles are sub standard for the small extra load of the fibre tube they may get replaced

...So we need to know whether FTTP is being considered in his area or not?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to