General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thesmileyone
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 20:41:41
Print Post

Will fibre be enabled?

[link to this post]

Been on the case with Superfast Cornwall the last few months. Apparently our cabinet got enabled last week. I did a check on USWITCH and it claims my post code is enabled for ordering.

Now all that aside, it seems my post code is enabled but my individual link (and the rest of my street + the primary school up the road) is not. BT's wholesale check does not even list FTTC on the list, only "Fibre Multicast"... how many TV stations are in rural Cornwall? None. Useless.

Superfast Cornwalls' guy said it will be enabled by September or I could pay for FTTH on-demand which will cost me about £10k. This conflicts with the BT checker, which does not even list it...but why would I be able to get fibre multicast if there is no FTTC or FTTH?

The wierd thing is I was connected straight to the DOBWALLS telephone exchange which is 4km of telephone line, I synced at 4mbit and would download at around 380KB/s. Now I am connected to the cabinet which is around 700 meters away and I only sync at 2.5mbit and download at around 190KB/s.
This makes no sense to me. Unfortunatly DMT tool won't work with my Linksys router, and I can't telnet into it so I can't get any line stats.

Screenshot of BT wholesale:

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2uhv85k.png[/IMG]

Stuck on 2mbit for last 5 years - 56k for 15 years before that. Council house development gets 100mbit fibre for free whilst the middle and upper class pay for 2mbit. Awesome!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jul-13 20:49:24
Print Post

Re: Will fibre be enabled?

[re: thesmileyone] [link to this post]

USwitch probably just assume all postcodes on the exchange can order, or postcode is split across two cabinets.

You may still get it by September, and the BT checker not be listing it

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 11:18:46
Print Post

Re: Will fibre be enabled?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
USwitch probably just assume...

Yes, as good as they can be, comparison sites also have major flaws; in that they make a lot of assumptions (or, rather, their vetting process is minimal so it can convince you you're ready to sign up ASAP). I've not used Uswitch for broadband but I have for electricity supplier, and I won't go into it as it's massively off-topic, but I wouldn't trust a very basic and relatively shallow PHP/SQL arrangement to know what I currently have, and what I want to change that to, ever again.

This isn't meant to be a specifically anti-Uswitch post, half of my problems were not caused by them, rather the suppliers themselves. But about half of the problems were caused by them, and I should have just manually looked around and selected. Comparison sites advertise and sell something they know nothing about, it's hardly ideal; it should really be more regulated. Call up Uswitch right now and ask for a step-by-step guide on how your ISP migration will go; or look for an online guide, and see if that's exactly what happens. If you call then nobody will have a clue and in the end a "team leader" will read something to you which you've already read, if you read an online guide then it'll sound perfect but the ISP might make mistakes, which by then aren't the comparison site's problems because you've signed up with the ISP, so you're their customer.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Mon 29-Jul-13 11:24:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to