General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:52:14
Print Post

Effin' DLM!!!

[link to this post]

I am angry. I am angry because I am a tweaker and I am used to being able to try out various things to get a faster/more stable connection.

But can I do this with DLM? Can I bloomin' hell! Every time I do a resync DLM throws a hissy fit!

I want to try various things like firmware changes, resyncs at different times of the day, changes in cables and modem placement or changing the modem for a different model etc.

But you have to wait days at a time in order to perform these as otherwise the DLM will punish you severely for it! In fact it already has!

What would have been problem solved in a day or two is now taking weeks!!!

I hate you BTO I effin' well do!

/rant

---
65/18Mbps on Plusnet unlimitedsmile
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:56:17
Print Post

Re: Effin' DLM!!!

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

Changed my sig because that's how I feel right now.

---
What's my speed? Who knows thanks to DLM! Plusnet FTTC. Openreach are pants!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:59:18
Print Post

But SIN 498 has, for a while now, said
Note : It is the DLM system that sets the line profile, and this should not be interfered with by CPs/users setting rates, SNR margins etc. at the modem.
Maybe people were ignoring that and they are now treating attempts to override it as line problems?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jul-13 22:12:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I do not want to mess with the SNRM (although it would be nice to set it at 3dB and get an extra boost). I just want to be able to test issues with the line and not have to rely on the ISP for everything. Plus I am peeved when I get fobbed off with 'you are within estimated speeds so tough cheddar'.

DLM only kicks in if it 'thinks' there is a problem (which might be you resetting the modem a few times whilst you run some tests or want to relocate it). They should concentrate on trying to fix the problems instead of allowing DLM to just carry on downgrading a line which could perform a lot better if the problem was actually fixed!

Another glorious cop out by Openreach. 'I know how we can save money. Don't bother fixing the problems. Just manage it to death through a crummy software/hardware solution instead!'

---
What's my speed? Who knows thanks to DLM! Plusnet FTTC. Openreach are pants!
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 07:45:42
Print Post

If you use the HG612 modem with unlocked firmware, simply reboot it and then perform user tweaks (interrupt the reboot)

This sends a last gasp instruction to the DLM (in theory) I did an experiment before I move house and rebooted my modem 30+ times every day before I moved and still couldn't trigger the DLM to do anything.

Make of that what you will.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 105977D 38659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 5.4 SNR: Down 13.1 Up 24.3
Line Length 160meters

Edited by lockyatlrg (Mon 29-Jul-13 07:46:37)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-13 08:56:28
Print Post

I hate DLM, maybe that is one of the reason in the back of my mind that I did not want to go for fibre.

The problem is with the system I have got is that I can't do a thing with it, no tweaking, at all. Still maybe it is a good thing.

But no DLM.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 29-Jul-13 10:26:54
Print Post

odd, whilst I agree the FTTC DLM is worse than the older BTw DLM, I havent triggered DLM from doing things on the modem. Although I have been conscious and deliberatly kept resyncs down to 1-2 at a time per day.

What is possible is if your line has a lot of errors it may be possibly making DLM less tolerant to disconnections.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 10:55:18
Print Post

You must be really going over the top with it. I understand you want to tweak but honestly there's very little you can do on FTTC to make it faster, other than leaving it alone.

99% of the public turn these routers and modems on, leave them on and forget all about them. This is why perhaps DLM seems extreme to you as you're no doubt turning it off and on numerous times a day. When there's drop outs numerous times in a day, for 99% of the public it is due to a line issue, so the line does need a speed reduction to make it stable. You are just triggering this.

I am quite a tinkerer however I just kept the modem connected up and tinkered with my router a bit. Now that it's all how I would like I've been connected for months on end. & ultimately I just switched back to my ISP router kit anyway.

What are you actually trying to do? Anything router based wouldn't punish you - only modem stuff.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 29-Jul-13 10:56:40)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 29-Jul-13 11:42:58
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
odd, whilst I agree the FTTC DLM is worse than the older BTw DLM, I havent triggered DLM from doing things on the modem. Although I have been conscious and deliberatly kept resyncs down to 1-2 at a time per day.

What is possible is if your line has a lot of errors it may be possibly making DLM less tolerant to disconnections.

The OP must really be upsetting it!

Last Thursday I had probably 10, if not quite a few more in a few of hours including 5 in 15 minutes, all of which were external to here. The effect on my connection - none that I can detect. Speeds are the same +/- a few k, latency same ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 12:03:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've reset my modem here there and everywhere with no ill effects.

I recently experienced the DLM when I had (I think) some kind of interference where I placed the modem (or along the CAT5 extending it).

I simply moved the modem to the master socket and was back at 80/20 within a few days.

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU > WightWireless > Plusnet FTTC 73/17
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to