General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-13 16:11:19
Print Post

I have a Fibre Question ?

[link to this post]

Now Matt from Xilo has explained what the procedure is but i thought i would get other views and opinions on others that may or may not have a similar set up.

Matt has said that generally BT will connect Fibre to the main socket but will and can be flexible,my dealings with BT in the past have not been very good so here is the deal at present and my Broadband situation.

All my stuff is connected in the office on the first floor.thats a iMac with a Netgear DGND3700 Modem/router,out of this though i am using Solwise homeplugs to send Broadband down to the living room into a network switch to run the broadband through my consoles Playstation 3 /Xbox 360 ect.

If Bt work on the socket i have my stuff connected to will this impact the ability to send a broadband signal through the sockets,also will my Netgear unwired Wifi extender located in the closet work after the fibre install,Matt has said that Fibre will only work at the one socket BT fit the Modem to.

I want Fibre but i am a little concerned that things may not work out how i had hoped come this Thursday when BT visit the premises.

If i can not use the electricity sockets around the house and the homeplugs for gaming then i need to know so i can remain as i am at present.

Dont know much about the technical side of things so i thought the appropriate question was best asked to ones that have more knowledge.

Many Thanks.

Matt has explained to the best of his knowledge which i appreciate but its always best to get other views form people that may already have Fibre already and are using home plugs .
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 16:37:31
Print Post

Re: I have a Fibre Question ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

The FTTC service should no effect on the use of homeplugs to shift your Ethernet around the home.

The engineers default plan will be to fit a filter faceplate like the one at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate at the existing master socket and if the provider ticked the box for the free HWS (Home Wiring Solution) then a dedicated data extension can be run for up to 30m (length of the cable) to another socket. This runs either from a plug in the top socket on the faceplate, or the two IDC connectors in top left of the picture http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/facepl...

Only the Openreach modem needs to be by the master socket (or the dedicated extension) the engineer won't have a long Ethernet lead, but you can position your Ethernet router that links to the Openreach modem up to 100 m away using CAT5e cable once they have left.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-13 16:43:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Adrian appreciate it.wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 29-Jul-13 21:43:05
Print Post

Where is the main socket, and are there any spare mains sockets?

Are your Homeplugs "pass-through", so you can also get power out of them?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 22:27:48
Print Post

Did the ISP order a home wiring solution, this allows the BT engineer to either move the master or run a data extension kit (upto them)?

Otherwise it'll be installed at the master socket / if the engineers in a good mood they might put it where you want it.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-13 23:51:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We have sockets all over the house but for broadband i only really use the one in the office,to tell you the truth I'm not sure we even have a main socket in the house as the house is only 3 years old.

What we do have is a Grey Bt Box just outside by the front door,as for the Solwise home plugs they just have ethernet cable port coming out of each one and thats it.

Not sure what you mean by getting power out of them,they just plug in like conventional plugs and i rig up gear from the ethernet cable in the plug and hey presto all works nice and dandy.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jul-13 08:40:13
Print Post

What RobertoS meant is that some of the homeplugs have a normal 3 pin socket on the front of them. That means you can plug the homeplug directly into the wall socket and then plug other things into them (such as a 4 gang). The benefit is that homeplugs tend to give higher rates when plugged directly in the socket rather than on extension leads.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Tue 30-Jul-13 09:18:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
We have sockets all over the house but for broadband i only really use the one in the office,to tell you the truth I'm not sure we even have a main socket in the house as the house is only 3 years old.

What we do have is a Grey Bt Box just outside by the front door,as for the Solwise home plugs they just have ethernet cable port coming out of each one and thats it.

Not sure what you mean by getting power out of them,they just plug in like conventional plugs and i rig up gear from the ethernet cable in the plug and hey presto all works nice and dandy.

Just to rule this out (or in) does the grey box outside by the front door look like the one in this link

http://www.sinet.bt.com/470v2p0.pdf
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 30-Jul-13 22:00:23
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

That was my thought - 98% chance it does?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 30-Jul-13 22:00:42)

Print Thread

Jump to