General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 21:33:19
Print Post

New Fibre Cabinet in Oakham

[link to this post]

Openreach have been putting in tons of cabinets into Oakham recently - even putting cabinets in places that never had them before.

Oakham Telephone Exchange Cab

And I spotted this one tonight, outside the telephone exchange. Now I live about on Dean Street, which is behind where I've taken the photo from, and my telephone line length is 186m - so it's an E/O line.

Is it likely my line will go into that cabinet so I'll be able to get fibre at some stage? As I say, my line is only 186m long to the exchange itself, so I assume I'll get near the top end of 80mbit (I get 22mbit as it is on ADSL2+).

The download speed is not that much of an issue; it's the measly 0.83mbit upload speed I get which is seriously bad.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 21:38:51
Print Post

Re: New Fibre Cabinet in Oakham

[re: pavvyben] [link to this post]

Does not look like a FTTC cabinet look at

http://www.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ftt...

The fttc cab is 1.4m tall in that picture, the smaller telephone cabinet is what I think you can see.

Now it maybe they are now routing the EO lines via this extra cab with a view to adding FTTC later, or there is a chunk of new build in the area and this is their cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 21:50:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah that isn't a FTTC cabinet. The new one is just a normal telephone cab, but it wasn't there before. It's literally only arrived in the last few weeks.

I assume they'll put the FTTC one in where they've made that new black curve, ending at the turf part?

And there isn't any new properties in the proximity to the exchange either. I'll try and ask an Openreach engineer and see if they'll tell me. They're all over the place at the moment - and they've just dug a massive trench in the pavement near the church in Oakham that I assume they'll be doing the same thing; adding a telephone cabinet and then putting a fibre one next to it.

Also the fibre cabinets in Rutland aren't very big at all compared to the massive ones I've seen everywhere else. They look like this -BT Fibre Cab

Edited by pavvyben (Mon 29-Jul-13 21:55:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orozz
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 21:52:32
Print Post

Passed through Oakham yesterday and I could only see the standard ECI cabinets installed, same as in Ryhall and North Luffenham

ECI Cab in Ryhall
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 21:53:54
Print Post

Seems like a good guess

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 21:57:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, hopefully at least.

I will be extremely annoyed If they've bothered to get £3m+ for this project in Rutland, delivering FTTC to 97% of the properties, and find out that I won't be one of those 97% because I live 200m from the telephone exchange!
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 29-Jul-13 22:28:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by pavvyben:
Also the fibre cabinets in Rutland aren't very big at all compared to the massive ones I've seen everywhere else.

Well, it is the smallest county smile

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User No_One
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 23:23:45
Print Post

I'm in Oakham too. I'm sure I read on the RCC website that the BDUK funding only covers the smaller villages and that Oakham itself is just being upgraded as part of BT ordinary commercial rollout. I just guessed they didn't like the idea of the villages having fibre and the county town not having it.

Have you tried putting your phone number into the wholesale broadband checker? Since last week my number now shows that FTTC is coming with an estimated 60.3meg. We're served by cabinet 12 on Ashwell Road and the fibre cab was installed back in May. Every time I walk my dog past it I try to listen for any fan noise to indicate that it's working... Pretty sad really lol.
Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 23:48:10
Print Post

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

Ahhh that's fair enough.

Yeah I've tried entering my number (along with another number with an E/O line) and both haven't come up with anything relating to FTTC. But I guess if your cab was installed in May and only last week it started showing up, it'll probably be before November/December before my shows: assuming 1) they install the FTTC cab fairly soon and 2) that box will be for E/O lines in the surrounding area.
Standard User suiy
(regular) Tue 30-Jul-13 09:50:26
Print Post

I am on cab 13 too. But whenever i enter my number i get an rfs date of 31-3-2014. I so hope its active before then. My speed estimate is 64.7
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to