General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Tue 30-Jul-13 12:10:48
Print Post

New FFTC Connection, Router Stats

[link to this post]

Hi there,

Had FFTC installed today. Was previously on ADSL on a very long line, 62db attenuation, 3mbit sync.

I was advised by Sky/BT that I would get 32mbit from FTTC. It was installed today, and I'm getting 38mbit.

I only ordered the 40/10 package, as the estimated speed was 30mbit and I'm around 600 meters from my cabinet, following the road.

Here are my router stats:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4395/80wk.png

Speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2869262320

From what I understand, if my line was capable of more than 38mbit, it would say higher for 'max' obtainable rate, so I guess i'm best off staying on the 40/10 package.

My upload speed seems a little lower than what I expected, but it's still alot faster than what I had, so extremely pleased all round.

Would appreciate it if someone who can interpret my line stats to advise me if I reached the right conclusion to stay on 40/10, instead of upgrading to 80/20 and not getting any faster etc..

Many thanks!

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation

Edited by dave2150 (Tue 30-Jul-13 12:14:02)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 30-Jul-13 12:51:32
Print Post

Re: New FFTC Connection, Router Stats

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

You are right ... The Max Downstream/Attainable rates are the highest your line can support - at that moment in time and would show any higher figure. If the weather changes, atmospheric noise increases/decreases, local noise sources change, other users are added &c then the Max Attainable will change, but not enough to make going for a higher speed package worthwhile.

Similarly with your upstream - the max is just over 8Mbps so a /20 package would cost for no extra benefit. 6.85 is a little low but that could be congestion (for example). Can you run the TBB speedtest and see what that gives - it will also show a little graph that plots the performance during the test.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 30-Jul-13 13:01:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I noticed it's not using one of the downstream bands - is that because it was no good or because the service profile limited it ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 30-Jul-13 13:21:26
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Probably because it is of no use ... D3 uses tones 2792 - 4083 and I would guess that attenuation would be around 90dB at the low end given that in D2 it is averaging 60dB and extrapolating the SNR graph would put that at around 0 - 3 dB at the start of D3. Bits per carrier is just 2 at tone 1750 which is below the top of D2 (1959).

M H C

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Tue 30-Jul-13 14:39:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You are right ... The Max Downstream/Attainable rates are the highest your line can support - at that moment in time and would show any higher figure. If the weather changes, atmospheric noise increases/decreases, local noise sources change, other users are added &c then the Max Attainable will change, but not enough to make going for a higher speed package worthwhile.

Similarly with your upstream - the max is just over 8Mbps so a /20 package would cost for no extra benefit. 6.85 is a little low but that could be congestion (for example). Can you run the TBB speedtest and see what that gives - it will also show a little graph that plots the performance during the test.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize it was 40/8, I thought it was 40/10 for some reason.

Is it just a coincidence that my max attainable upstream is the same as as my upstream sync?

Here is the TBB speedtest as requested:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 30-Jul-13 14:53:18
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

The 8Mbps is the MAX that the line will support.

And the 6.8/6.9 is probably due to the slow rise on the upstream - the peak value is probably over 7.5 Mbps. I get the same issue on one PC - resulting in 17Mbps and a different PC has an instantaneous rise that give 18.5 Mbps.

M H C

Edited by MHC (Tue 30-Jul-13 14:56:54)

Print Thread

Jump to