General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Thu 01-Aug-13 16:51:54
Print Post

Ignorance is not bliss!

[link to this post]

I would appreciate some guidance on the following as I am shortly to order a BT Infinity fibre install when it becomes available in a few weeks and I want to be prepared.
At present I have an ADSL connection. This consists of an NTE5 master box in the livingroom with a 25m (Cat5 ? whatever the type supplied with a BT ADSL install was 12 years ago) cable plugged into the front RJ11/45 socket which then goes up onto the loft then down into a bedroom terminating in a smaller box with a socket for a line cable. I regret I don't know the model type of the small box to quote. (I took the Cat5? cable and small box with me when I sold the last house and routed it through the loft in this house myself) A line cable plugs into the small box and goes to the line socket of my wireless router.
I am wondering if this extension can somehow be utilised by for example, maybe changing the smaller box for an RJ11/45 type box. Then it would only be a short patch cable from there to the hub, which I would prefer to be situated in the bedroom next to my main PC.
I know I can order a Data extension kit for free during the install but BT won't route the Data extension kit through the loft and it is impractical to run it around skirtings etc as it crosses a hall and would be much longer than 30m in any case.
Is the Data extension kit just a 30m Cat5 cable with RJ11/45 connectors on either end?
Pardon my ignorance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Aug-13 17:00:44
Print Post

Re: Ignorance is not bliss!

[re: Rytenuff] [link to this post]

Yes data extension kit is just the modern version of what you already have. Same sort of specification of cable, so that can be easily re-used

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tehidyman
(regular) Thu 01-Aug-13 17:21:55
Print Post

I recently had BT Infinity FTTC installed. I already had a cat 5e cable running from a filtered faceplate at the master, up the wall, through the loft and down to a fitered extension The engineer left my filtered faceplate untouched, including my Cat5e cable connection running to the extension. My existing filtered extension he used, plugging the modem in using my existing cable and made his phone call from the phone socket on the extension. Took 15minutes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Thu 01-Aug-13 17:32:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you both for that information. I'm grateful.
Would I need to change the small box which only has a line socket for an RJ11/45 type box? Also I have used two of the wires in the existing Cat5 cable to provide a telephone extension in the bedroom. Is this a bad idea and likely to cause crosstalk or interference of some description?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Aug-13 17:36:18
Print Post

So long as its two wires from one twisted pair then it is fine

Should be no need to change the socket upstairs, in fact in your case probably get away with making no changes at all.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Thu 01-Aug-13 18:23:47)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Aug-13 18:02:21
Print Post

"no need"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Thu 01-Aug-13 18:20:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think I may be confused. I want to install the modem in the livingroom and the hub in the bedroom. Am I correct in thinking that the modem is connected to the hub by a cable with an RJ11/45 plug on either end?
If so, I wanted to use my existing cable with an RJ11/45 plug already on it and plug it into the livingroom modem and use the other end which presently terminates in a box (with a line socket only, no RJ11/45 socket) in the bedroom and replace that with either a crimped on RJ11/45 plug or into a box with an RJ11/45 socket which would then go to the bedroom hub thus connecting the modem in one room to the hub in another room.
Have I missed the point here? Wouldn't be the first time.
EDIT.
Oops! I just noticed that what a called a line socket is actually an RJ11/45 socket. They only look a bit different at first glance.
Thanks for all the guidance.

Edited by Rytenuff (Thu 01-Aug-13 18:44:04)

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Sat 03-Aug-13 12:50:42
Print Post

If you could post the model Nos. of you hub and modem, someone here will be able to advise you on a minimal hassle/possibly cost-free alternative - i.e. even if only one of your two devices has wireless capability, just set that up at your master socket. If neither has wireless capability, then it still might be worth buying a cheapish D-Link router (~£15) with wireless WPA2 support, and then a cheap USB dongle. If you're planning on connecting modern Smart TVs to it, then they don't even require a dongle, they've got wireless built in.

I realise that doesn't answer your actual question, but if you can avoid hacking your house about and also eliminate at least one piece of old(er) hardware from the scenario, it might be a preferable option; most DSL routers released in the last 5 years or so are a "modem", "hub", and also have secure wireless capabilities. So if you could kill about 3 birds with one cheap wireless stone, then you could possibly look into it. Again though, you'd have to ask others here which brand/model to buy. For the record, I'm using a D-Link DSL2640R, which was the standard free Talk Talk ADSL router ~3 years ago, and it wirelessly gives me net access on two Samsung Smart TVs, wired (Cat 6, which is just beefed up Cat 5e) on two PCs, and Wi-Fi for my phone when I'm within range.

Sorry if you've already considered this sort of setup, but it would seem to sort out a lot of location bother for you. And socket bother!

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 03-Aug-13 12:51:32)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Aug-13 13:20:36
Print Post

I think your options are as follows, if I follow correctly. Sounds like you have an RJ11 cable from the master to the bedroom already...
So you can
Connect the modem and hub in the bedroom.
Connect the modem and router next to the master (I would do that).

You can then use wireless where necessary or if you absolutely want the full fibre speeds run an ethernet cable to the device you want to be wired. Wireless will probably give you around 50 - 60Mbps on each device on a standard 2.4ghz router, 5ghz routers being slightly better (as long as your laptop, desktops etc are also 5ghz). If it's BT infinity I think you'll get the Homehub 4 which is 5ghz ready.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Aug-13 13:25:40
Print Post

The installer will LOVE you, nothing need change from your current set up.
They just connect the Openreach modem to the 'small white box' upstairs. Easy as.

Print Thread

Jump to