General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JM1301
(newbie) Thu 01-Aug-13 22:04:14
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre speed nightmare

[link to this post]

I upgraded to Plusnet Fibre broadband in May this year. Since the fibre broadband was installed I have only managed to get pathetic download speeds using a wireless connection of between 2-4 megs. This is the same speed no matter what device I use to connect to the wireless. However, when I have tested connecting the computer to the router via ethernet cable it achieves speeds of 60 meg! I have spent hours on the phone to Plusnet support since May, and have tried everything they have suggested including changing the wireless channels, moving the router and even purchasing a Belkin router which cost me £50 to try and resolve the issue. Plusnet are now saying that they believe the only possibility is there is some kind of electrical interference around my house which is causing the slow wireless speeds, but they will not send any engineer out to find out what this is! I can't think of anything and I live in a new build property. Even when I try and connect wirelessly with the computer next to the router it makes no difference whatsoever with the speeds.

I'm now going to cancel my fibre subscription as it's pointless paying for this when I can't get the speeds! So frustrating as I was looking forward to finally getting decent broadband speeds grr!
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Aug-13 22:11:11
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre speed nightmare

[re: JM1301] [link to this post]

Your problem isn't with PlusNet or with your fibre connection but instead with your local set-up and the wireless devices you are using. I'm not surprised that PlusNet aren't sending an engineer since what happens within your home is outside of their control. May I suggest asking amongst your friends to see if one of them is a little more savvy about wireless networking and asking him or her to pop round and give your setup a look over.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Aug-13 22:29:36
Print Post

Not only what MCM says, but the reason PlusNet won't send an engineer is that there is clearly nothing wrong with the FTTC that gets to your router, as wired by Ethernet to that is fine.

The engineers are Openreach. They would test, and report back that there is no fault, and the problem is within your equipment. The result would be a charge to you of over £100. I doubt if you would appreciate that.

How old is your computer? It isn't running Windows XP by any chance is it?
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 01-Aug-13 22:30:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Aug-13 22:32:36
Print Post

As per the other poster, your wireless speed is not the responsibility of your ISP.

My brother has terrible wireless speeds, varies greatly around the house. There are hardly any other
networks visible, only one I think. What he eventually found was that if he put the wireless router in the lounge he instantly got better speed, put it back in his office and the performance plummeted. He still has no idea what's causing the problem when the router is in his office.

What I would suggest is getting a decent local computer company to investigate your wifi problems before ditching your fibre connection, preferably one that has the equipment to check for interference such as this www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy/

Standard User JM1301
(newbie) Thu 01-Aug-13 22:35:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can partly understand why they won't send an engineer as they are providing the service to my home and it's a wireless issue, but it's really frustrating as I need a wireless connection. I'm not an expert at the technical side of computers at all, and I don't know anybody else who is either!

I'm running a 1 year old Apple iMac, but getting the same slow speeds on the iPhone as well frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Aug-13 22:46:08
Print Post

Just as background info, what speeds did you get on wireless v wired at your previous place please? It might help us eliminate some possibilities.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User JM1301
(newbie) Thu 01-Aug-13 22:54:48
Print Post

Hi,

Prior to fibre being installed I just had standard broadband in the same house, I was getting wireless speeds of about 1-2mbps, never tested it wired.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Aug-13 23:35:09
Print Post

We need to get a couple of people using Apples wirelessly to look in. They may know something. I haven't a clue about them I'm afraid. If I remember tomorrow I'll see if I can find any.

There is an alternative solution, but quite expensive. That's HomePlugs. You would need at least 200Mbps ones to handle 60Mbps of Ethernet. 500Mbps would be safer. There are a few makes.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Aug-13 23:50:45
Print Post

Macs are generally fine with wireless speeds

How many wireless networks can be seen?

Buying a 4GHz wireless access point mat be a solution but must emphasise the may.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Aug-13 07:31:17
Print Post

This is my Fibre Wireless speed test on my Girlfriends MacBook Air Taken This Morning .

Fibre Is installed on first floor office and this test was taken downstairs in the kitchen.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2875836671

This is another taken directly from the office.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2875870406
now both these tests were connected to a net Netgear wifi Extender about £50 from currys that is located in the clothes closet downstairs.

The following tests are from the main router with the wifi extender disabled.

This was the office right next to the router.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2875851147

This was downstairs in the kitchen.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2875853082

Now before i posted the above one i had a speedtest and it only managed about 2 meg download,as you can see the above one is a lot higher and i can not tell you the reason why.

What i would advise is to invest in a Wifi extender that just needs plugging into a power point with no wiring required or any leads.

I have various Apple devices and if you want more tests or any possible help i can give you then please advise.i am no technical wizard and just get by but if i can help then i will.

Edited by time2die (Fri 02-Aug-13 07:43:30)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to