General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alpine
(regular) Sun 04-Aug-13 16:21:23
Print Post

Move the connection point?

[link to this post]

The problem I would have if I were to look at FTTC broadband is that the current copper connection point is at a faceplate on the corner of an internal kitchen wall. This is adjacent to the downlead that goes up to the roof and thence to the telegraph pole. It's a long way from where I have my current router which fans out to ethernet connections. I installed a long ADSL cable from the faceplate to my current router and it would be a real annoyance to have to install a new ethernet type cable across to the office where I have my hub if all Openreach do is replace the existing faceplate.
I saw something that suggested that the rules, if you move to FTTC were that BT would install a new faceplate within 3metres of the entrance of the house. But did this actually mean, 3 metres of the current CABLE entrance to the house?
I'd be pleased to have comments since if I don't get a faceplate near my current hub, then I won't bother installing the faster connection!!!

Edited by alpine (Sun 04-Aug-13 16:38:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Aug-13 20:08:21
Print Post

Re: Move the connection point?

[re: alpine] [link to this post]

That rule only applies to a house that has no existing wiring.

If you have existing wiring, then fit the new style faceplate to the master socket, and if the Home Wiring Solution (free at order time - HWS acronym) is ordered then they will install a data extension of up to 30m in length.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 04-Aug-13 21:48:51
Print Post

You could choose to pay for BT to move the incoming connection point. That would get it to exactly where you want it.

The "ADSL" cable you have installed - could then be used to feed voice back to the kitchen if you want to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Aug-13 22:29:15
Print Post

Did you install an RJ11 cable from the master in the kitchen to the current router? If so you can just connect this cable to the FTTC faceplate that will be installed in the kitchen. It might not be AS good as keeping the modem near the main socket but should work.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 04-Aug-13 22:29:29)

Standard User bet_here
(learned) Mon 05-Aug-13 07:33:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you have existing wiring, then fit the new style faceplate to the master socket, and if the Home Wiring Solution (free at order time - HWS acronym) is ordered then they will install a data extension of up to 30m in length.

There's been a couple of posts here indicating that ordering the HWS allows the engineer to do an NTE shift.
e.g. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4067653-re-...

Simon.
Standard User alpine
(regular) Mon 05-Aug-13 08:54:25
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies everyone.
"Did you install an RJ11 cable from the master in the kitchen to the current router?"
Yes, it's a standard RJ11 cable with the small 4wire US connectors. As I now understand it, this will fit the wider connector on the back of my HG533 and on the new faceplate, and I suspect is probably made from cat 6 cable, so it should extend the PPPoE connection with no issue. Please let me know if this is wrong!.

Now it's just a question of deciding whether to upgrade and if so what line speed over my current ADSL 13Mbps connection I would get... And whether I could every get back to ADSL if the improvement is not large... There's actually a street box only about 100M from my house, but I don't know whether my wiring comes from it, or one about 800M away.

Edited by alpine (Mon 05-Aug-13 13:30:04)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 08:56:22
Print Post

Is the cable like this, with these connections at each end?
http://www.nisystems.in/images/RJ11_RJ11_na.jpg
Standard User alpine
(regular) Mon 05-Aug-13 09:30:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Is the cable like this, with these connections at each end?
http://www.nisystems.in/images/RJ11_RJ11_na.jpg

Same width, but only 4 wires are connected. That means of course that it's not Cat 6, but hopefully would have the same twist density as a cat 6 cable.

I think I got it from Solwise at the same time as I got one of their filtered faceplates, but it's a long time ago!

Edited by alpine (Mon 05-Aug-13 09:37:39)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 09:37:18
Print Post

Take a picture of it then I can judge for sure whether it will work. I'm concerned it's just a standard cable going into a faceplate (which would be more complicated).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 05-Aug-13 09:37:46)

Standard User alpine
(regular) Mon 05-Aug-13 09:54:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Take a picture of it then I can judge for sure whether it will work. I'm concerned it's just a standard cable going into a faceplate (which would be more complicated).

Yes it will be a standard adsl cable, about 25M. Here's a picture

Actually the link doesn't seem to show up... Maybe because I haven't used this site for a long time?
It's h**p://postimg.org/image/9ovbfinh3

Edited by alpine (Mon 05-Aug-13 10:00:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to