General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Aug-13 22:46:07
Print Post

Interesting install - no Openreach modem

[link to this post]

I had an install done in North London this morning. The Openreach engineer asked if the router was fibre compatible (FTTC) and when I told him it was he said that was good as he'd already plugged the RJ11 cable from it into the wall socket. He didn't even bother getting the Openreach modem out of the box or suggest using it.

I logged onto the router to see if we had a connection and it was all up and running.

The BT Wholesale ADSL checker estimate was for a download speed of 68.4Mbps and upload of up to 20Mbps.

The Draytek 2850n shows a line sync of 79984kbps down and 19999kbps up.

Attainable rate down is 127115kbps and up is 43215kbps. If only Profile 30a was available. This was the fastest the engineer had seen to date.

I suspect this is one of the first connections into the cabinet so it's going to be interesting to see how speeds drop over time as more connections are made. and crosstalk increases.

The Openreach engineer left the modem just in case there were faults which needed sorting ut. He did comment that he liked Draytek routers smile

It's going to be interesting to see how long it will be before BT offers a wires only product and no longer requires the use of an Openreach modem. I think today's experience was a good sign.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Thu 08-Aug-13 23:15:46)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Aug-13 22:55:27
Print Post

Re: Interesting install - no Openreach modem

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

That Draytek is pretty expensive. for that price I would want it to be gold plated

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Aug-13 23:07:58
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The Draytek's pretty cheap compared to the Cisco 887VA I use on another FTTC connection (also without Openreach modem). smile

This is for business use and credit card processing from handheld terminals is done over this connection so we need a robust solution. We also have 3G backup via a USB dongle which works very nicely. That's something even the Cisco can't do.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Thu 08-Aug-13 23:09:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Aug-13 06:52:18
Print Post

If you need it for business and credit card processing then yes you need something that is robust. I still think it is a lot of money.

I suppose all in one VDSL unit are few and far between as well, so they can inflate the prices at the moment.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 09-Aug-13 06:56:09
Print Post

The impending introduction of the HomeHub 5 and no doubt other VDSL router/modems from other ISP's would suggest that wires only FTTC is just around the corner

With wires only we shall see a return of the micro-filter and all the attendant problems with customer wiring that plague many ADSL installations.

Still it all makes work for the working man /woman to do.

Edited by systemx (Fri 09-Aug-13 08:10:00)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Aug-13 07:37:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
I had an install done in North London this morning. The Openreach engineer asked if the router was fibre compatible (FTTC) and when I told him it was he said that was good as he'd already plugged the RJ11 cable from it into the wall socket. He didn't even bother getting the Openreach modem out of the box or suggest using it.

The only question I would have is if this actually a correct install. Wires only is a good move, but if its not yet officially launched, then hopefully they left the modem with you in case?

e.g. you might find the DLM and the Draytek "fight" over something really obscure, and the line performance degrades, as we've read about Draytek VDSL in this BBS before.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 09-Aug-13 07:55:38
Print Post

... the Cisco 887VA I use on another FTTC connection (also without Openreach modem). smile

This is for business use and credit card processing from handheld terminals is done over this connection so we need a robust solution.
My bold.

BT have requirements for 3rd party modems that will be used on an FTTC connection (I think they relate mainly to vectoring, but don't know the details).

Does the 887VA meet those requirements?

It doesn't seem to be any problem at the moment- to the best of my knowledge BT's DSLAMs haven't declined to connect to anyone using a non-compliant modem, but in the future... who knows?

It might be worth further investigation now, in case you find you have to do it in one hell of a hurry one day!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(committed) Fri 09-Aug-13 10:02:03
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
The only question I would have is if this actually a correct install. Wires only is a good move, but if its not yet officially launched, then hopefully they left the modem with you in case?

It's been launched on a limited basis, to allow trials and stuff.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(committed) Fri 09-Aug-13 10:06:07
Print Post

This is for business use and credit card processing from handheld terminals is done over this connection so we need a robust solution. We also have 3G backup via a USB dongle which works very nicely. That's something even the Cisco can't do.

Still overpriced IMO. A £10 router with a free OS on it can do all that, and is just as robust, if not more so. All this enterprise branded stuff is just hogwash. I get more disconnects and reboots on Cisco 2602's than on a £5 router running an alpha version of Openwrt.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Aug-13 11:51:16
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
... then hopefully they left the modem with you in case?
Wakey, wakey tongue.
The Openreach engineer left the modem just in case there were faults which needed sorting ut.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to