General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 09-Aug-13 16:19:12
Print Post

fibre back to ADSL

[link to this post]

Hi hope i put this in the right section and its fibre that's causing the problem

I had fibre with plus net and moved back to Sky ADSL it was meant to be up and running by the end of last night (the 8/8/13) i got an email from sky about 5pm saying all was installed plug your modem in now,
The thing is i cant get an ADSL sync the phone has defo switched but the hub tells me ADSL down so i decided to plug my Openreach modem back in and im still getting a VDSL sync actually the speeds gone up from 60-68 and attainable gone up by about 18, i contacted sky but they said it would take 48-72 hours to get it looked into with it been weekend im betting that will be longer, Is is possible that the engineer has left me connected to the VDSL cab and some how its over riding the ADSL signal (i dont know if that's possible so im only guessing)

so basically im without broadband till its sorted all i can say is thank god for the one plan lol although not right handy if you want to use skys on demand

Thanks Ash

Sky Unlimited - Speed to Be seen when fully activated
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Aug-13 16:42:52
Print Post

Re: fibre back to ADSL

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

If you are still connected via the VDSL cab you cannot get an ADSL2+ signal. It's likely this has happened due to openreach for one reason or another.

Why are you switching back from fibre? To save money?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 09-Aug-13 17:17:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
If you are still connected via the VDSL cab you cannot get an ADSL2+ signal. It's likely this has happened due to openreach for one reason or another.

Why are you switching back from fibre? To save money?

thats one of the reasons yes sky had an offer a year at £3.25/m the other been i hardly download anything big except steam games occasionally these days most of my internet usage has been with now TV and sky's on demand and you can steam now TVs top quality on about 6meg and i got about 12-13meg last time i was on sky ADSL on this line so should be more than enough, ive also got the one plan and my phone gets 20meg at all times thanks to windows 7/8s built in load balancing and steams support for multi thread if i get a big game ill still be able to get about 30meg

so my thought about openreach bodgeing up and leaving me connected to the VDSL cab seam about right then

the thing is sky told me from a test they did they can see the connection is working fine which is what puzzles me more but i can obviously see im still getting a fibre speed sync, all i got was ill get some one out in 48-72 hours and well compensate you TBF im not exactly fussed about getting a 30p rebate knocked off my bill lol

Ash

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Aug-13 19:10:19
Print Post

I know someone who had the same problem and that was with Sky, but they was going from Sky Fibre back to Sky ADSL. took a few days to sort it out.

They went back to ADSL as they found it was better than fibre, not as fast, but more stable.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 01:56:16
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

i will miss the upload but wont miss the download too much the saving per year out weights the miss of download speed lol, it was always stable too and in the long run when circumstances chance sky offer fibre so there's always re upgrading later on,

Ash

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Aug-13 04:59:13
Print Post

That's a strange one, I find them both equally stable.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Aug-13 10:44:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
i will miss the upload but wont miss the download too much the saving per year out weights the miss of download speed lol, it was always stable too and in the long run when circumstances chance sky offer fibre so there's always re upgrading later on,

Ash

What you never had you don't miss I say smile
My upload is about 2, which for me is fine, I got a 10Mb/s download. I am happy with the system I have got, I don't feel the need to go to fibre.

Maybe if I was still on ADSL and did not have access to the service I am using now I may have thought differently..

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Aug-13 10:48:58
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
That's a strange one, I find them both equally stable.

It would stay stable for a few hours and then it would just go off, his wife was not happy as she had to unplug the modem and plug it back in again to get it working.
BTOR had a look, they replaced the modem and kept telling them there was no problem.

He only got fibre because he thought the extra speed would be useful, had had 13 on ADSL anyway. His wife is happy now, she can do what she does and it works. He said once they get the technology working he may try again, but if it costs him again.

Adrian

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Aug-13 11:06:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
My upload is about 2, which for me is fine, I got a 10Mb/s download. I am happy with the system I have got, I don't feel the need to go to fibre.

For me the problem is usage - I would be an AAISP customer for IPv6 and their excellent team, but at ~200GB of usage a month there are a lot less options. (Streaming internet TV services is the use case).

My friends and family in the USA are all pretty much cable only (due to distance) and over there the usage allowances start at 250gb a month. Here we think 40GB or 50GB is "high usage". :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Aug-13 13:45:05
Print Post

There must have been a fault somewhere.
I've had fibre since the trials with sky and never once had to unplug the modems, nor have I had to on my BT connection.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to