General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kouroku
(newbie) Sat 10-Aug-13 22:41:06
Print Post

FTTC Cabinet Question

[link to this post]

Long time reader, first time poster. A great wealth of info here.

FTTC has just become available to order for me and is booked to be installed at the end of the month. I read on another forum that the fibre cabinet in question has been connected to a different exchange from the 'old' copper wire phone cabinet it is paired to.

Just curious to know if that's possible? Thanks.

As an aside, on the Openreach checker my post code still shows the exchange my phone is connected to as 'coming soon', with a date of 1st September. The BT Wholesale checker says March '14 using post code only, but available now using phone number or full address check for FTTC.

Anyway the installation appointment is booked so hopefully all is sorted, as mentioned I'm just curious to know if the 'old' phone cabinet can be connected to a different exchange to the new fibre cabinet but the two still work together.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 11-Aug-13 08:15:40
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Question

[re: Kouroku] [link to this post]

Yes, fibre enabled exchanges are grouped together at common handover points, where communications providers can connect to.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Aug-13 15:51:15
Print Post

Postcode only checks are often inaccurate, there may be more than one cabinet supplying a postcode, best to use the number checker or full address.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kouroku
(newbie) Sun 11-Aug-13 21:57:28
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble and R0NSKI.

I'd always assumed the FTTC cabinet would be fed its fibre from the same exchange as the old cabinet it was paired to!

Roll on the end of the month when hopefully speed will go from 2.5Mbs to something in the region of 50Mbs according to the estimates.

Edited by Kouroku (Sun 11-Aug-13 21:58:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 22:09:50
Print Post

For example Falmouth exchange in Cornwall handles the FTTP and FTTC for eight other exchanges in the area

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kouroku
(newbie) Sun 11-Aug-13 22:22:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron.

I'm with TalkTalk. When the engineer visits to install the required modem and router at the house, just out of curiosity if you know, which exchange will he also have to visit to enable the fibre connection? The copper cable cabinet is connected to Wickham, the FTTC's fibre to Fareham.

Is there a period with no connection?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 22:35:06
Print Post

The enabling of the fibre connection is done at the local street cabinet, no need to visit the exchange

Usually the cabinet stuff is done by stopping off on the way to your house. So once ADSL drops out, you'll know they should be with you in a couple of minutes

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kouroku
(newbie) Sun 11-Aug-13 22:38:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Excellent, thanks again.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Aug-13 16:23:02
Print Post

The engineer will usually phone to inform you that the line will be down for a short while, then they will
visit your house to fit the new face plate filter, and after that all should be good to go.

Standard User Kouroku
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 16:57:06
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks R0NSKI.
  Print Thread

Jump to