General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Animalmutha76
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 09:36:58
Print Post

The haves and have nots : wrong side of the tracks (or road)

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I live on a semi new semi old estate 2010 vs 1927 -1936 in Wendover

The estate is divided into two by a main road with a pcp cabinet on each side about 100 yards apart
On the old side is cabinet 10
On the new side is cabinet 15
The old houses seem to be connected to 10 and the new ones 15; next to cabinet 10 is brand new shinny fttc cabinet: and anyone on 10 can now get infinity : woo ho to them wink

Will openreach do the following
Connect cab 15 to the fttc box next to cab 10
Install a new cab
Or leave us to rot in slow "broad"band hell wink

Cheers

Rob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-13 09:49:01
Print Post

Re: The haves and have nots : wrong side of the tracks (or r

[re: Animalmutha76] [link to this post]

They might in time install a new cab, welcome to the reality of a roll-out that is still in progress

If there are a lot less homes on the cabinet 15 it may not be commercially viable, thus rely on local council project.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 09:57:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think there are about 150 homes on old side and at least 300 on new side

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-13 09:58:24
Print Post

In which case it may just be down to the order of the roll-out

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kebabselector
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 17:18:34
Print Post

You could email openreach and ask them (the email address on this site somewhere). As Mr Saffon said your cab is probably uneconomical to upgrade. I'm in that category, quite annoying as all the other cabs in the area (apart from 2 other small cabs) are getting upgraded.

You could write to your local councillor or MP to see if they can do anything. The reality is money talks, if the take up for BB/properties connected in your cab are low chances are you aren't getting fibre. Sadly for me Virgin are in my area so looks as if there's no chance of it being upgraded for a long while. Pity really as I didn't choose to be connected to a small cab.

Local campaigning to get locals to register interest/contact openreach/mp etc might show someone somewhere looking at a spreadsheet that there is interest. I'm probably going to try this, though chances are it'll fail as well (forever the optimist!).

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb.
Exchange is Fibre enabled, street cab not economically viable to upgrade.
Could get V*rgin, but I'd rather not.
Standard User electro
(regular) Sat 17-Aug-13 21:11:48
Print Post

Welcome to the club!

2Mbps ADSL2+ - and no sign of a FTTC/cabinet upgrade due to "commercial viability". Want faster broadband? Move house.
(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 08:42:36
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Cab 10 is a dodgy old Gpo pcp while cab 15 is brand new modern big pcp capable of supporting many more lines if it was economics then I would have gone with cab 15 first bound to be a higher bb/line ratio on our side : families with kids

Seems more random than economic
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 18-Aug-13 10:51:11
Print Post

It's always possible that when Openreach were "surveying" areas to decide which cabs would be viable or not that the new estate wasn't there. Bearing in mind fibre roll out started in 2009(?) the planning must have started well before then.
Standard User garethr
(regular) Sun 18-Aug-13 13:16:04
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
It's always possible that when Openreach were "surveying" areas to decide which cabs would be viable or not that the new estate wasn't there. Bearing in mind fibre roll out started in 2009(?) the planning must have started well before then.

Nice assumption. You absolutely spot on. We have an estate with some 1500 homes which BT officially labelled as unviable. That was until the regional director and project director realised a third party firm in the area with an FTTP network was taking the idea seriously and that they had maybe screwed up. Pretty much, overnight we got told the estate was going to be FTTP. In the end they reneged on that one and did it as FTTC but....... It took just under a year. Still awaiting one cab which is leaking.

Mind you, to be fair to BT the area accounted for something like 10% of house sales in England at points during 2010/2011. Ignoring new build at the time wasn't exactly stupid - it wasn't really a growth market.

Regards,

Gareth
BT Internet 21CN ADSL 1.4Mbps/400Kbps
BT Infinity FTTP 166Mbps/20Mbps soon
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sun 18-Aug-13 15:47:12
Print Post

"The old houses seem to be connected to 10 and the new ones 15"

Could it be that Cab 10 has many of the "new" houses also wired to it, whilst Cab 15 at present, only has a few, probably later "new" houses only?

Also, are there other houses, out-with your estate (old & new combined), wired in to Cab 10?

Either way, it looks as though Cab 10 may be fully occupied, so a better FTTC proposition.

Have you checked which Cab you are connected to?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Teleph...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to