General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kazaam
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 15:18:50
Print Post

FTTC Distance and RFS

[link to this post]

So, my fibre is due to be installed on Monday (19/08/2013).

SamKnows shows RFS as 01/09/2013.BT When & Where shows that fibre is "Coming Soon" and in thePDFthere it says September.

So, BT, SKY AND TALKTALK are showing I can get fibre. 60 download and 20 upload.

I have gone for TT Large fibre. Has anyone else had fibre installed before RFS?

Also, I have read that ISPs generally underestimate speeds.

As the crow flies, I am 310 metres from the cabinet, and 390 if its done normally going up the street.

Where I live is a reasonably new estate (about 8-10 years old), so everything is underground afaik.

Does anyone know realistically what speed I can expect? I understand it can go either way.

This link shows fibre as being available

Edited by kazaam (Sat 17-Aug-13 15:25:42)

Standard User garethr
(regular) Sat 17-Aug-13 15:40:28
Print Post

Re: FTTC Distance and RFS

[re: kazaam] [link to this post]

Hi,

The RFS dates on the where and when site aren't updated very frequently.

The wholesale ADSL checker has the real data.

TT SKY etc going live in the area is only delayed if they haven't requested a cross connection between their equipment and the FTTC network. So basically new FTTC exchanges.

BT seem to have been hitting their targets. However, if they hit problems (power/issues with the PCP etc) it can take an additional 6 months to a year.

If you are first on the cab (which it sounds like you are) then you may get above that figures. However, as more people move onto that cabinet you will see a decrease in sync due to VDSL crosstalk.

Regards,

Gareth
BT Internet 21CN ADSL 1.4Mbps/400Kbps
BT Infinity FTTP 166Mbps/20Mbps soon
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-13 17:54:41
Print Post

From http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... and around a third of the way down the page from the table

400 metres comes in at around 40 Mbps, but that is pessimistic with respect to cross talk

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Aug-13 00:59:25
Print Post

I'm at 600m measured by me and confirmed by the engineer's JDSU. AT one time I used to connect at 55Mbps or thereabouts. Now down to ~51Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to