General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 14:23:30
Print Post

FTTC Engineer install

[link to this post]

If as stated it may take up to 3 hours to complete an install, taking in to account travelling time and meal breaks, how many installs can an engineer complete in a working day?
In a smallish town/city how many FTTC able engineers would there likely to be employed?
With this service being new and in demand there would likely be hundreds of orders waiting attention if the many, many cabinets which have been in place for months were all switched on.
Is this the real reason why there is a long wait for cabinets in place to be enabled?
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Mon 19-Aug-13 14:42:21
Print Post

Re: FTTC Engineer install

[re: Rytenuff] [link to this post]

No. Exchange to cabinet fibre installers are different from cabinet to premises installers.
Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 16:05:54
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Sorry, I don't see your point. I am talking about the engineer who comes to your home to install . As far as I am aware the cabinet which serves my house has already had the fibre ran to the new cabinet and the new cab is already linked to the old cab. It has not been switched on. Many other cabs seem to be likewise I am wondering if the shortage of man power and man hours to visit homes is the reason. I thought my original post was clear. Perhaps not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:00:02
Print Post

Openreach has its own installers and those from contractors such as Kelly Communications that it does move about the country to meet demand in a area.

Its possible Openreach could dealy cabinets going live in a area to manage the install list wait time, does your cabinet and others have their power connections installed?

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Mon 19-Aug-13 17:00:31)

Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 18:34:46
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Impossible to tell from looking externally. There is a warning sticker on the cab saying 230V.
Whether they come with that sticker already attached or only put on when power is supplied I don't know.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Aug-13 18:36:33
Print Post

His point was that the engineer staff who do the work to enable an FTTC cab, are not those that do the FTTC installs booked out by the CP's

The fastest install I have ever done was 42 minutes from knocking on the door, the slowest, 4 and a half hours. It ll depends on how easy/tricky the fit is inside the property.

Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 18:52:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes I am aware of the difference. But my point was if there are too few home installer engineers in an area could there be a deliberate delay in activating cabs even if everything is in place. Reasons given for non activation of cabinets in place vary, including collapsed ducts. I am offering a possible alternative suggestion for the delays. One which may not be businesslike to admit. I can't make it any clearer.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 19:10:56
Print Post

They just give out an extended appointment date. It makes commercial sense to have cabinets taking orders as soon as they are ready

Edited by Ribble (Mon 19-Aug-13 19:13:48)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 20:50:46
Print Post

Roadworks.org it it covers your area will list power works for cabinets when they appear, if its already happened look at the path to see if their is a trench back to a street light or power duct.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Tue 20-Aug-13 02:30:41
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thanks form that. Doesn't seem to cover my area as there is ongoing roadworks a mile from me which is not shown. A track which crosses the road linking an old to newly installed cab. (not mine)
And yes there is a track back to a power duct on the cab which services my house.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to