General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User freeflyer
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:09:02
Print Post

FTTB, who owns the line?

[link to this post]

Hi all, just moved into a building with mixed offices and companies etc. I'm currently on FTTC connection but are experiencing REIN issues. Anyway, whilst checking this out, i discovered an existing company in the building had a fibre line installed to the building !
Now, the main entry point is in the electric room/basement, directly underneath my office, so technically easy for me connect to.

But, i have no idea how this works.. does the fibre installation belong to the company who requested it? Does it belong to BT? Can i use it for my own fibre connection?

Thanks.

Edited by freeflyer (Mon 19-Aug-13 17:09:31)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:14:42
Print Post

Re: FTTB, who owns the line?

[re: freeflyer] [link to this post]

Its probably a leased line, rented by the company and owned and installed by someone else, probably BT but maybe another company.
No doubt the company that rent it are paying a hefty amount for it (and an even heftier amount to have it installed) so probably wouldnt take too kindly to you using it, though you probably wouldnt have access to the kit anyway.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:17:25
Print Post

It belongs to BT or whomever else provided it and if the other company aren't using it it's probably shut down at the exchange side. If they are using it you'd be stealing service if you hooked yourself up to it.

It's no different from any other line, copper or fibre, which belongs to BT / whomever else up to NTE / demarcation point.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Mon 19-Aug-13 17:17:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(committed) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:51:10
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

At work we have a 100Mbit fibre Ethernet circuit. The fibre comes into the basement then up into the 1st floor comms room and all for a mere £700 a month. smile
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:58:10
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
At work we have a 100Mbit fibre Ethernet circuit. The fibre comes into the basement then up into the 1st floor comms room and all for a mere £700 a month. smile

Given the employee you would get for the same money it sounds like good value to the business wink

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User freeflyer
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-13 18:05:02
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

well, i wasnt thinking of hooking up to it.. just wondered if its basically a case of the line being installed, and now anyone can use it for their broadband (via an ISP of course), but it seems that isn't the case.
So, if someone else wanted a new fibre line, the engineers would have to come out and run ANOTHER fibre cable? That seems a bit nuts !
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 18:09:03
Print Post

Another fibre into the same building would be simpler as the tubing already exists.
Business's that need the bandwidth are willing to pay for it
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 19-Aug-13 19:16:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by freeflyer:
So, if someone else wanted a new fibre line, the engineers would have to come out and run ANOTHER fibre cable? That seems a bit nuts !
Not really, if you're the business paying for the kit and exclusive use of the line why would you want someone piggybacking on the expense you had incurred ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User freeflyer
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-13 13:17:01
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

even as a web consultancy and marketing company, I rely on the web and constantly upload or download, but I can't understand why anyone would need 100mb simultaneous connection to an office, unless they are doing something severely wrong OR have over perhaps 100 employees. The company next to me who has had the fibre cable installed only has about 10 people working there. A 25mb FTTB connection would be fine in that instance.
Standard User freeflyer
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-13 13:21:23
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

its not the exclusivity i'm questioning, its actually the tech and the logistics. If fibre has already been enabled to the building, and the facility is there to carry multiple connections easily (as it clearly is), then why can this cable not be utilised by others?

The costs included in having FTTB is ludicrous. Its ismply not warranted. Quite frankly its a joke considering that we are constantly hearing how BT etc are trying to make traditional copper cable communications obselete, and installing fibre everywhere blah blah.. this simply isnt the case. Once a building is fibre enabled, that should be that. It shouldnt be that each and every room, office, or company in that building should each have to pay £700 (per month !!!! ) for the privilidge of using it. Quite frankly, its absurd... there should be a one off installation charge, and thats it.

Edited by freeflyer (Tue 20-Aug-13 13:27:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to