General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Tue 20-Aug-13 13:38:25
Print Post

Re: FTTB, who owns the line?

[re: freeflyer] [link to this post]

Because, the company that had it installed is leasing it and all the capacity, irrespective of whether it is being used or not.
The company supplying the lease cannot let you piggy back onto that fibre, because the contract they have with the leaseholder will stipulate they will not.
It may be the case that this is to connect with another office in the UK and this provides a private connection, in which case it's not really a connection to the internet.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Aug-13 13:46:35
Print Post

Maybe they host website and other services there as well, using the office as a bit of a datacentre.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 20-Aug-13 13:57:09
Print Post

In the case of lease line Ethernet services, it's not FTTB but point to point , i.e. it goes directly to a specific end user, with 5 hour repair SLA's 24/7. It's not bargain basement FTTP/C.
Of course , some enterprising service provider could just rent one , link it to their POP and share it within the building, e.g. Hyperoptic.
It's not something BT does but service providers can, and do.
I suspect the reason it's not more popular is the problem of getting it organised on the ground with guarantees of users taking the service.
I don't see BT trying to make copper obsolete for a long while yet

Edited by Ribble (Tue 20-Aug-13 14:05:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 20-Aug-13 14:00:27
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Who knows, remote backup/storage, remote CCTV , VOIP.
Openreach Ethernet services start at 10Mbits upto 10Gbits.
Standard User mattewan
(regular) Tue 20-Aug-13 15:00:21
Print Post

We have about 30 employes and also have a 100mbps connection.

Just because we only have 30 employees doesn't mean we don't need the bandwidth. If we were using the connection just for internet browing, a adsl/cable modem would be fine. However, we run ftp and other bandwidth intensive services because we transmit a large amount of images (document management company) to customers.

When a line like that is installed, it is usually a dedicate line, or "managed internet". In our business we pay for the rental of a 2u cisco router, and all the other equipment involved. It is dedicated to our company, so there would be no reason for the isp to install additional fibre for other users to use. It would also be completly unfair for them to let others use any of the fibre they installed for us, as we paid for the site survey, the install visits and the upkeep.

Our connection costs use £9200 a year, its 100mbps in both directions, and thats pretty cheap. Last year we were paying the same amount for 10mbps, and 100mbps would have cost us £23,000 a year

Edited by mattewan (Tue 20-Aug-13 15:19:16)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Aug-13 16:42:21
Print Post

How do you know the other co.'s line is FTTB? It may just be a privately leased line, which is more likely. In which case it is nowt to do with other occupants of the building who have no rights on it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 20-Aug-13 16:47:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by freeflyer:
even as a web consultancy and marketing company, I rely on the web and constantly upload or download, but I can't understand why anyone would need 100mb simultaneous connection to an office

Me neither, but it's their money and choice. Sometimes these circuits are on 100M hardware but the contracted data rate is a lot less.

People do stupid things, like trying to install wordpress on a server by uploading on an ADSL line, rather than having the host install it or pulling it onto the server direct. It may be cheaper to buy the capacity than train or employ suitable staff wink

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User freeflyer
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-13 17:16:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
How do you know the other co.'s line is FTTB? It may just be a privately leased line, which is more likely. In which case it is nowt to do with other occupants of the building who have no rights on it.

lease or no lease, its still fibre to the building..
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 20-Aug-13 17:35:14
Print Post

even as a web consultancy and marketing company, I rely on the web and constantly upload or download, but I can't understand why anyone would need 100mb simultaneous connection to an office, unless they are doing something severely wrong OR have over perhaps 100 employees. The company next to me who has had the fibre cable installed only has about 10 people working there. A 25mb FTTB connection would be fine in that instance.

That obviously shows how much you know and understand.

With my last company we had several fibres into most building as we could be running several hundred megabits per second ... One building with around 20 employees needed about 400Mbps peak rate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User somerset
(committed) Tue 20-Aug-13 18:00:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:

lease or no lease, its still fibre to the building..

So what's your point? You rent a service which happens to be delivered by a telco over fibre. As said above you connect to the modem/router and it does not matter how it connects to the other end.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to