General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Aug-13 18:35:19
Print Post

Re: FTTB, who owns the line?

[re: freeflyer] [link to this post]

Bit of a silly argument.

It's like me saying you got ADSL installed. Why should next door get adsl, they should piggyback on yours as its already there.

You wouldn't like it.

Businesses pay fortunes for these lines. It's their line, their fibre, their connection, their hardware etc.

If you want that service you should pay for that service like everybody else.
Standard User freeflyer
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-13 18:40:02
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by somerset:
So what's your point?

You asked what made me think its FTTB and that it instead could be a leased line.. but a leased line is still fibre to the building, ie FTTB.. that was my point.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Aug-13 18:49:46
Print Post

Leased lines can be provided over a bundle of copper pairs.

The point to point and custom nature of leased lines generally makes them unsuitable for simply connecting to, and I doubt many people would want to pay the per Mbps cost that comes with those sorts of lines.

The key to your solution is talking to the company with this 'fibre' and finding out if their supplier is able to do a discounted deal to install a second fibre to you, or provide an IP tunnel across the existing fibre.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Aug-13 18:51:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by freeflyer:
lease or no lease, its still fibre to the building..
So what? It's nowt to do with you.

So, if someone else has copper to the building to provide their landline, you think you can also share it? Get real!

FTTB, as a term, means a specific deployment of BB, not just any old fibre to any old building.
Fiber to the x (FTTX) is a generic term for any broadband network architecture using optical fiber to provide all or part of the local loop used for last mile telecommunications.
The fibre you see is almost certainly not the "last mile local loop" but someone else's private point-to-point connection.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Aug-13 19:58:54
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
At work we have a 100Mbit fibre Ethernet circuit. The fibre comes into the basement then up into the 1st floor comms room and all for a mere £700 a month. smile
We have a 100Mb/s bearer to our office park then a switch feeds it to all the offices. At the moment three of us are getting 10Mb/s for £230 pcm. Sounds like you got a slightly better deal. Mind you our install costs were quite low. Came to about £3,500 per office I think.

Didn't seem all that bad for a converted barn yard in a village nearly 5km from the nearest exchange.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 20-Aug-13 20:00:19)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 20-Aug-13 19:59:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

OK, what we have:

80 employees and we all work remotely on servers in the State because the big bosses decided to centralise everything in 2 datacentres in Pa and NC instead of 12 regional datacentres.
There's VoIP and VPN access for up to 500 regional workers and clients throughout the UK and Europe.
Then there VC facilities and a few other minor odd and end.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Aug-13 20:02:02
Print Post

even as a web consultancy and marketing company, I rely on the web and constantly upload or download, but I can't understand why anyone would need 100mb simultaneous connection to an office, unless they are doing something severely wrong OR have over perhaps 100 employees. The company next to me who has had the fibre cable installed only has about 10 people working there. A 25mb FTTB connection would be fine in that instance.
I agree. We work with US and Polish colleagues to develop software. We use the internet for our phones, we control or access each other's computers and we download/upload source code and documents. 10Mb/s seems fine for five people. Our work involves developing client software for MS Exchange and Sharepoint so we're often connecting to remote servers.

Heck - we did fine for the first seven years on a 4 down, 1.5 up bonded ADSL solution. The only problem we had with it was stability. The only accommodation we've had to make is that our office has local mirrors of things. But I doubt any connection would be good enough to allow you to have source code and libraries over 6,000 miles away.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 20-Aug-13 20:06:23)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 20-Aug-13 20:11:08
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

We did quite well install-wise because this is a new office and our provider had a free install deal at the time although I don't think it included laying the fibre. smile

Edited by simon194 (Tue 20-Aug-13 20:11:39)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 20-Aug-13 20:23:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
With my last company we had several fibres into most building as we could be running several hundred megabits per second ... One building with around 20 employees needed about 400Mbps peak rate.
At the other end of the spectrum a guy from VM Business said they still have 64k leased lines and get support calls about speed smile

Peak traffic at LINX is 1600 Gbits/s which is about 320kbits/s for each of (say) 5m people for a benchmark.

Today was the first time I found my internet connection to be a problem - a fool with 10s of thousands of emails in Outlook IMAP with Gmail proved that such a combination won't work on a 6M connection, and his is 1/10 that :-0

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Wed 21-Aug-13 09:30:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by somerset:
So what's your point?

You asked what made me think its FTTB and that it instead could be a leased line.. but a leased line is still fibre to the building, ie FTTB.. that was my point.

But that is not definition of FTTB, it is your interpretation of FTTB.

FTTB is a fibre connection for the express purpose of providing broadband access to building for all occupants, with distribution normally by ethernet to all the units within the building.

With your definition even a building where a company had provided a satellite office in a business park a fibre link to their main building would be FTTB'ed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to