General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Aug-13 00:35:58
Print Post

FTTC Cabinet fan

[link to this post]

I know it a silly question to ask. What happen if FTTC cabinet fan isn't working? How will BT know if it stop working fan in later stage?

Will the cabinet be overheat and catch the fire?

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Wed 28-Aug-13 00:36:55)

Standard User iwish
(committed) Wed 28-Aug-13 07:33:39
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet fan

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

probably shut down before it overheats, and as soon as that happens BT will know and be right out in two to nine months to fix it.
Standard User hopkapi
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 07:53:17
Print Post

While I can't say for certain, I'm pretty sure that if the fan/fans fail, the equipment inside will get toasty pretty quickly, quickly raise remote hell with Openreach, and shut down before anything is damaged.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zom22
(regular) Wed 28-Aug-13 07:58:23
Print Post

The cabinet has continuous monitoring which is reported back to 'HQ' and I suppose continously checked by automated systems to guard against failures not being known about.

As to how long a cabinet could continue to run without a fan you would need to know the precise performance specs in various ambient temperature/wind/humidity conditions.
If indeed it got too hot then I'm sure it would automatically shut down via temperature sensors monitoring for this.
You could equally ask the same question about your computer - which is probably far less well monitored.

Remote monitoring systems will also be checking such things like if the doors have been interfered with, whether the backup battey condition is good..... etc.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-13 10:20:12
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

And I would hope there are multiple redundant fans so that the CAB can continue to function until the fan is replaced.

Moving parts, switches etc are the main source of failures I would expect?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 10:54:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Will the cabinet be overheat and catch the fire?

No, it might run a bit hot though. With sun full blast on a cab there's probably more solar gain than heat from the internals.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Aug-13 12:15:56
Print Post

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

I doubt it, it'll probably be able to be ran with no fan for a while but get a bit more hot and therefore theoretically reduce the lifespan of the equipment in the cabinet.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Wed 28-Aug-13 19:18:53
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
I doubt it, it'll probably be able to be ran with no fan for a while but get a bit more hot and therefore theoretically reduce the lifespan of the equipment in the cabinet.

Which is why they use multiple fans. The fan module on an ECI M41 MSAN, for example, has nine 60mm x 48mm fans.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Aug-13 20:38:07
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Yep. As soon as a fan fails or drops below critical speed it'll trigger an SNMP trap which will in turn raise an alarm at wherever Openreach monitor their cabinets.

The equipment inside will have thermal sensors and if any of those go above a warning level it'll again trigger an alarm on a monitoring station. If the equipment reaches critical temperature level it'll shut down.

Here's an example of Netcool, just such a system, which receives these traps from devices alongside whatever other monitoring operators choose to integrate.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/image...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Aug-13 21:51:07
Print Post

the one which i got past down the raod is pretty noisy, it was quiet for a few months, but now if you just walk past you can hear it. I never heard any others make the same noise.

Maybe the fan is going belly up in that already.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to