General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hippyharry
(learned) Wed 28-Aug-13 11:08:17
Print Post

Rest Of Scotland BDUK Plan

[link to this post]

I've spoke with Digital-Scotland on the recent award from the Scottish Government to BT and digital-scotland have gave me this update on the roll out:

You may be aware that we signed a contract with BT last month to deliver Next Generation Broadband (NGB) across the project area. When combined with the Highlands and Islands contract, the Step Change Programme will deliver NGB to 85% of all premises in Scotland by the end of 2015 and 95% of all premises by the end of 2017. Following the signing of the project, we are currently building a website to provide updates on progress, meanwhile BT engineers are carrying out detailed on the ground surveys to ensure we can deliver the best coverage from the contract. We expect to announce the first deployment areas in early 2014.

As per my previous email, I can confirm that your postcode is eligible for intervention, however we won’t know when/if the actual upgrade work will take place until the detailed survey work has been completed.

Apologies for not being more specific at this stage, but please do keep an eye on the Digital Scotland website and our Twitter feed for future announcements.

So, early 2014 we should start to hear of the first deployment areas. Are there many users here who will fall under this roll out rather than the original BT roll out?
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Wed 28-Aug-13 19:58:10
Print Post

Re: Rest Of Scotland BDUK Plan

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

Hi HippyHarry, I remember your post when you had mapped out the cabinets in & around Bridgeton.
So I'm in that area, on the Dalmarnock side of London Road, on the city side of Celtic Park. It's a business area - I think it was cabinet 8 ??? - so fibre all around but not for our cabinet.
I would definitely be interested if they'll be looking at our cabinet.

Also I've noticed in the last few weeks what "might" be the cables for a cabinet out near the new industrial estate being built on London Road towards the motorway.

Thanks for the update.
Standard User delone
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-13 21:02:47
Print Post

I wish I knew for sure.

SG say cabinet is eligible for intervention, Council say cabinet is now in BTO roll out plans so no longer eligible and BTO say not in roll out plans but may be eligible under BDUK.

Confused? I certainly am. Hope the SG get this website up and populated ASAP.

Del

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippyharry
(learned) Thu 29-Aug-13 09:54:34
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
Hi HippyHarry, I remember your post when you had mapped out the cabinets in & around Bridgeton.
So I'm in that area, on the Dalmarnock side of London Road, on the city side of Celtic Park. It's a business area - I think it was cabinet 8 ??? - so fibre all around but not for our cabinet.
I would definitely be interested if they'll be looking at our cabinet.

Also I've noticed in the last few weeks what "might" be the cables for a cabinet out near the new industrial estate being built on London Road towards the motorway.

Thanks for the update.

Those cables you are seeing are actually for a new vodafone cabinet. The cabinet for that industrial estate is actually just a little inside the main entrance, but that cabinet is being served by the SHETTLESTON exchange.

I would have suggested emailing Digital-Scotland to check if your postcode is eligible as they will cross check whether it's covered by Virgin Media or not, but at the moment it all depends on what the surveys being carried out by BT say.

Edited by hippyharry (Thu 29-Aug-13 09:55:09)

Standard User hippyharry
(learned) Thu 29-Aug-13 09:57:01
Print Post

[re: delone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by delone:
I wish I knew for sure.

SG say cabinet is eligible for intervention, Council say cabinet is now in BTO roll out plans so no longer eligible and BTO say not in roll out plans but may be eligible under BDUK.

Confused? I certainly am. Hope the SG get this website up and populated ASAP.

Del

Sounds like you need to get the council to clarify where they have received their information, but if BTOR have said that it falls under BDUK, then I'd be safe to assume it comes under there. The only thing is BDUK won't upgrade cabinets that service an area that already has a Virgin Media presence.
Standard User hippyharry
(learned) Mon 14-Oct-13 09:53:58
Print Post

Delone on these forums found a post hidden away on the Digital Scotland blog - http://blogs.scotland.gov.uk/digital/2013/10/03/one-...

The blog post as follows (in case it disappears)

Following a period of procurement, evaluation and negotiation there are now two contracts in place to deliver the Step Change Programme – one for Highlands and Islands and one for the Rest of Scotland. A total investment of £410 million will see superfast broadband infrastructure available to 85% of all premises in Scotland by the end of 2015-16 and 95% by the end of 2017-18, so what happens now?

With the contracts in place, there is a period of transition from procurement to deployment where the necessary resources and processes are put in place. This is as equally applicable to the supplier – British Telecommunications (BT) – as it is to the Scottish Government and Highlands and Islands Enterprise. Part of this process involves setting up a joint delivery team in a co-located office, emphasising the partnership approach to the deployment phase.

Extensive engagement is taking place with all 32 local authorities and the 2 National Parks in order to prepare for the required permissions to allow the deployment of the superfast broadband network. Any efficiencies that can be gained at this crucial stage of the process will be invested in extending the network.

Engagement with key stakeholders is vital for any programme and more so for one of this magnitude. In addition to the engagement with local authorities, briefings are taking place with MSPs, MPs, MEPs, local councillors and local broadband focus groups.

While all this is happening, engineers at BT are refining the model to further maximise coverage and deliver an efficient, cost effective deployment. This will be further refined with on the ground detailed surveys. These have already started in Highlands and Islands and will begin in the Rest of Scotland early in the new year.

For Highlands and Islands, BT is finalising details for the deployment of around 400km of subsea cables required for the deployment of Superfast Broadband to our island communities. It also expects to confirm the first areas for deployment within the next few weeks.

Keeping Informed
A dedicated programme website is currently under development with a live date before the end of October. The first stage of this development was to rebrand the Step Change Programme into Digital Scotland Superfast Broadband with the logo shown above. This single website is now the source for all information related to the programme, irrespective of there being two contracts in the background. This is to ensure a single, consistent approach to all publicly available information.

When the website goes live, it will include maps to give an indication as to when your area will be inlcuded in a roll out phase. Early in 2014, we aim to go live with a full interactive mapping tool that will give users access to even more information about deployment in your area.

In addition to the website, we also have a Twitter account (@digitalscots) and a Linked-in Discussion Group (Scotland’s Digital Dialogue). If you want to keep up to date on the most recent developments in superfast broadband, register on the website when it is launched ans you will receive regular updates on progress. You can also expect information about superfast broadband in the national and local press, via your local council and even at street level as we deploy to specific areas.

I’m pleased to report that an enormous amount of work has taken place since the contracts were signed and that work continues apace today. The first live areas are expected Spring 2014 and we will see extensive progress from that date through to the end of 2017 when the programme is expected to be completed. Until then, keep informed through the channels described above.

Duncan Nisbet,
Senior Stakeholder Manager

delone made a good point that there was no post on their twitter account or on the official website, but it's good to see that we'll get indication maps this month showing the roll out in 2014. It also says that next year (2014), there will be an interactive map showing more detail about the roll out.

All good!
Standard User Cammy
(regular) Mon 21-Oct-13 17:57:41
Print Post

It looks like this is the website he is talking about. The "when and where" page is currently unavailable.

Edited by Cammy (Mon 21-Oct-13 18:03:38)

Standard User Cammy
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:59:59
Print Post

[re: Cammy] [link to this post]

The "when and where" page is now live and the maps have been published here and here.

It looks like 2016 before I will be getting anything frown but at least it's not the dreaded yellow of "Under Investigation".
Standard User delone
(experienced) Mon 28-Oct-13 20:38:01
Print Post

[re: Cammy] [link to this post]

I have to say I am utterly stunned by what I have seen in these maps. I can't really tell what it means for me personally due to being in a single street, without superfast, completely surrounded by streets that already have it. There are a couple of pixels that could be my street. Equally they may not be and I might be in a dreaded 'under evaluation' area.

If I assume the best, I won't be getting Superfast until FOUR years after my neighbours! What a total JOKE!

Even better, my local authority is investing an extra £700k over and above the norm and all it's dates are late in the build. A neighbouring council that chose not to invest any extra has dates almost all at the early part of the build, despite having little commercial coverage.

Who the hell came up with that 'logic'?

Del
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 22:29:08
Print Post

[re: delone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by delone:
f I assume the best, I won't be getting Superfast until FOUR years after my neighbours! What a total JOKE!
Don't forget that this will still put you well in front of many others who currently have no prospect of seeing any form of NGA connection in the foreseeable future.

In my case I live in one of 75 properties in central London, all having EO lines, surrounded by properties all enjoying the choice of FTTC or VM cable connections. The local cabs have been FTTC enabled for a couple of years now. Living as we do in central London there's no BDUK funding and BT want £30K for a network rearrangement.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to